When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blackhawk Down but not for long

-

RUDY CONTRATTI

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Whilst riding to work this morning on our 34 Elgin Blackhawk Twinbar getting it ready for tomm.SF ride well the handle bars were turned and the front wheel was not.pulled it over and thought ,is the steer tube snapped???Well I got to the yard,,did my AM routine and got back to the yard and did a quick teardown.and sure enough it was snapped.Started to panic,I thought I would have to ride a Shelby:) then it dawned upon me that Elgins were Westfield Built,and I had the same fork on my 36 Columbia,so at lunch a quick teardown,and will have the Blackhawk Ready,and my good buddy and bike builder Otis Guy will sleeve and weld the broken one
SAM_2914.jpg

Right on! That's pretty cool that they were the same, and being chrome so the color of the paint doesn't come into play. What more could you ask for?

I had the same thing happen about ten years ago. I worked in a machine shop at the time, so I bought some seamless tubing and did a pretty good job fixing it. I took my handy little die and threaded it. I put it in the milling machine and cut the little grove for the washer tang to fit into. I was happier than a clam until I tried to put it the frame, I had cut the tube off about 3/16" too short! UGH! :D

Sorry for the delay,,Perhaps you are sitting on a couch. a beach chair or a bar stool,,wondering??if the Blackhawk made it to the SF ride,well Yes,and here is a photo of the donor bike ,The 36 Columbia and The 34 Blackhawk,,,did the ride yesterday,and The Blackhawk did just fine,,and the broken steer tube goes to Otis this week

SAM_2978.jpg

Back