When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

blackhawk??

-

walter branche

I live for the CABE
i think i bought a blackhawk, tank is blackhawk shape.it has fenders like an elgin skylark, bluebird-counter balanced pedals,rear rack is blackhawk, ..if there is someone who can help identify ,please contact ,,[email protected] ,,,,thanks ,, this was purchased today from craigslist serial number is c4 a33560

Last edited:
Walter sent me these photos of his new acquisition and asked me to post them here for comment.

The story that came with the bike is from the son of the original owner. He says that the bike is original and was a special order. His father used it for years and delivered papers with it. It is badged Elgin, has the 12 rubberized mounting pads and carries a 1942 tag.

My first thoughts are that it appears to be an early Robin with a replacement fork, and an Airider/Blackhawk type tank. Elgins generally used Troxel saddles so the saddle, while not being typical, could be original.

It is possible that the above is true and the owners son is mistaken as to the originality of the bike. It is also possible that the story is true and that the bike is original.

I imagine it was hard to special order an Elgin but if the original owners family had connections to Sears, Westfield, or were very persistent at the Sears order desk it is certainly possible that the bike might have been a specially ordered or is a design prototype or a model variant that was not widely distributed.

The one piece I noticed that falls outside the Westfield envelope is the sprocket, but that may be a later replacement.

The Airider/Blackhawk type tank was used on several models, some with double top tubes and others with single top tubes. The mounting hole location and number varies for these different applications and may be helpful substantiating the originality of the fitment.

The serial number will also be useful for placing the bike in the Elgin continuum.

Altogether an interesting find.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Phil

3056204277_bbcc3e3270-1.jpg

3056204289_9d08e5ea77-1.jpg

3056204281_7ba5bac395-1.jpg

Dr.Phil Yeeeeaaapp!

I think It was a Elgin Robin that got too close to a Black Hawk and a Aerocycle!!!:p

I Give Ya 5 Bucks Fer it!!!:D

J A M I E

The only real Blackhawk/Falcon thing about it is the tank. I tend to agree with Jamie.. Would be fun to get some fine grit wet sandpaper and start sanding through the layers of paint to see if the factory tank paint matches what is on the rest of the bike. Check inside the crank case and steer tube for nice examples of the original colors.
Great find either way for sure!!

That is an awesome bike... a little 3n1 oil and pump up the tires and take er for a ride.. I'd actually love to get it... But it would mean bread and water instead of beer and pizza during football games... and that just one sacrifice that I am not prepared to make... :D

thanks

hi, thanks for all the messages about the blackhawk tank etc.. i thought this sled was special, according to the offers it is like a wal mart bike,. the lens in the front fender is worth more than the community has offered.. ,, it will probably sit for a few years, untill someone like don AKA flat tire , REALIZES IT IS GOOD ...flat tire does quick ,honest exchanges and sales, we all should take a lesson from him,,. see ya walter branche

Back