When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blackout BF Goodrich world traveler

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
L

Langsmer

Hey guys, I found a war-time BF Goodrich world traveler with blackout hubs and chain ring. It doesn't have the seat, or the chain guard, otherwise its pretty much all there. Any idea what something like this may be worth? Its pretty inexpensive.

there were only two manufacturers allowed to build bikes during the war, everyone else was put to work for the war department. they did however ration the use of copper, nickel, and chrome just before and after the war. your bike could be from right before or after the war. what brand rear hub does it have? sometimes you can tell the age by the date on the hub if it has a Morrow hub. Goodrich bikes are as far as I know Schwinn built bikes and Huffman and Columbia were the only war time bike makers. post some photos if you get it. I'm not too into Schwinns so I don't know about it's value compared to other non blackout Schwinns maybe someone else would know better.
Scott:cool:

Wartime stuff just keeps getting rarer. Blacked out stuff is getting much harder to find and collectable. Does it have a tank? Without one id say it's worth $150 or so in restorable condition, $200 with a tank. Add for good original paint and subtract for missing/damaged/rusted beyond restoration parts. With summer coming soon prices will be going up too, so if it's in this price range, buy it.

It doesnt have a tank. It is more of a roadbike style. It almost looks like a stripped down Racer with black everything. The hubs are New Departure. Here are the pictures from the craigslist ad.

010105010208010406200802186da955839c68433d5900b8d4.jpg

01010001160701040420080218eab681cfa6e5562c21009be8.jpg

01021201160001040420080218825d810333a946086f005e14.jpg

oh yeah. I forgot to mention, most bikes around the war were lightweights. with rationing bikes were more utilitarian. no one was buying bikes for kids and adults were riding them because there was no gas etc. it looks to be in decent shape. very cool.
Scott:cool:

Um...Well,...

Cool, interesting, but unfortunately not really collectable, unless you're really into that particular style of bike. You know what they say, collect what you love. Unless you love that kind of frame style, let someone who is buy it.

British and American War-era cycles are very collectible.
They may not be in high demand with some bicycle collectors, but WWII collectors love them.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc.
http://OldRoads.com

Back