When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blame Pickers?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Heres a funny story. I went to an auction to try and win some bike parts, they also had a 1930's Elgin motobike. I overheard folks talking about American Pickers, and thought to myself 'uh oh' here we go! Well they brought the Elgin up, then to my surprise they put a 1980's girls huffy, dirty and scratched, next to the Elgin and said 'choice'. If that wasnt funny enough they called the Elgin a Western Flyer, it was missing the headbadge but the tires said WF so thats what they called it. I figured there were other folks in the know, and it would still get bid up because of the numerous folks speaking of the 'Pickers' show. After a total of only 6 low ball bids I was surprised I won, then came the inevitable question from the auctioneer "which one do you want?".....so I says "I'll take the Western Flyer".

That's a great story!!!!

How does one explain the 36 Cycleplane that parted out last night on FeePay? I almost lost my dinner

Personally I would prefer having a bike worth $500 versus $50. :)

Without a doubt! Make it $5000, but the ability to acquire it for $50 is the part that's swiftly disappearing. The "thrill-of-the-hunt" will be non-existent when everything's at Ebay prices.

How does one explain the 36 Cycleplane that parted out last night on FeePay? I almost lost my dinner

I didn't see that.
How do you explain?
Simple.
No values other than profit for profit's sake. I am loath to use the "G" word, but parting out something like that is pure unadulterated greed.

JWM

My best finds are still at junkyards, estate sales in SMALL TOWNS, garage sales run by elderly people, and barns owned by people desperate to get rid of stuff.

Find the ones who don't do much with technology, not much competition, and/or are desperate to get rid of the junk. Thats how the bargains can still be found.

Parts bikes don't come in like they used to due to people thinking a rusty POS is worth hundreds of dollars. When a parts bike DOES come in, it does not last long. A couple weeks and I pile it on "death row".

I wish a lot of things stayed "like the good ole days" but virtually nothing does. Everything evolves, for good or bad, and this hobby is no different. I remember when I started out I was so envious of the guys with the high dollar bikes, i.e. Bluebird, Aerocycle, Air Flo, etc... But I never resented them for being able to afford them. i just started with what I could afford, bought right, sold right and eventually 10 ok bikes became 5 good bikes, them maybe 5 good bikes became 2 or 3 great bikes. That's one of the beauties of this hobby, you can start low and eventually reach the top.

I wish a lot of things stayed "like the good ole days" but virtually nothing does. Everything evolves, for good or bad, and this hobby is no different. I remember when I started out I was so envious of the guys with the high dollar bikes, i.e. Bluebird, Aerocycle, Air Flo, etc... But I never resented them for being able to afford them. i just started with what I could afford, bought right, sold right and eventually 10 ok bikes became 5 good bikes, them maybe 5 good bikes became 2 or 3 great bikes. That's one of the beauties of this hobby, you can start low and eventually reach the top.

We started the same way I started with 58 schwinn and then started buying and selling and within 3yrs I have a great collection of 10 fairly rare and pretty desirable Bikes. That is what I love about this hobby. You can start any where and with a little work can be able to get some great stuff with little money out of pocket if you do it right..

Like anything, if you are willing to work and put the time in, you will eventually find a gem. Like the saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. It becomes an investment in educating oneself, time hitting the pavement, getting your name out in your territory, some smart "shopping" in the correct areas, oh and a little bit of luck. This hobby will evolve just like the car hobby, through desireable styles based upon iconic style, rarity, and generational appeal. Plus prices will vary with time while the working groups that have built up larger disposable incomes will bid up and gobble up what they think has more "value". Look what has happened to the BMX brands of early 80's in the last 5 years, a brand like Robinson has gone throught the roof. Evolution of a hobby like others...and there will always be the followers trying to make an extra buck off of others naivety. GenuineRides

Well Said!

Back