When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Hawthorne

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Better late then never.I figure I painted this Hawthorne about 12 years ago.The original peaked fenders had some good sized dents in the worst possible places. After straightening and painting them they still looked bad, even to Tinker's rough tolerances.
So.....this bike got buried in the back under Colson Command until I recently spotted these nice original blue fenders at a swap .
Dug out and installed some curved braces and maybe by the end of January I may have it assembled and detailed . The guard has the Hawthorne logo stamped into it. I will paint the script in dark blue and get some decals for the tank.
The problem is: "SHE" wants the wallpaper removed from the kitchen and the kitchen, dining room and THREE bedrooms PAINTED, by ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right after Christmas!!!!
I think this is just plain WRONG! Oh my gosh , cutting into MY Bike Time!:(
007.JPG
008.JPG
006.JPG
stinking-badges-e1351004026154.jpg

" I aint gonna do no stinken PAINTING!!!!!!"

If that's the doorway to the kitchen... I don't SEE any wall paper. Are you trying to get us to feel bad for you; so, we'll all come help?

pappy

If that's the doorway to the kitchen... I don't SEE any wall paper. Are you trying to get us to feel bad for you; so, we'll all come help?

pappy

I wish it was the kitchen Pappy. If it did, and had a bathroom I would never come upstairs. As far as the wallpaper I swear I put it up 2 or 3 years ago but the wife says it was more like 17 years.
Not going to be much "bike time " this winter:(

I think the worst part is when you start painting a house it takes three times a long as you planned.

that's because they keep adding to the list,when your done with that I nned this moved and can your look at this,you know what I mean.

Still working on old blue here. Mounted a die-cast Navy "Hell Cat" fighter plane on the front fender.
Dug up some curved braces for the fenders and left the old decals on that some kid slapped on years ago. Next I gotta look around for a light and maybe will add a mudflap to the front fender.
A great winter project using what I have laying around and SPENDING NO MONEY!:)
007.JPG
012.JPG
006.JPG

Still working on old blue here. Mounted a die-cast Navy "Hell Cat" fighter plane on the front fender.
Dug up some curved braces for the fenders and left the old decals on that some kid slapped on years ago. Next I gotta look around for a light and maybe will add a mudflap to the front fender.
A great winter project using what I have laying around and SPENDING NO MONEY!:)View attachment 258461View attachment 258462View attachment 258463

I remember the Phillips 66 decals in the 1950s... slapped some of them on stuff, too, all by myself. Had a neighbor who ran a Phillips 66 here in the village. I learned a lot from him; worked there in '62/'63. evenings and Saturdays, @ about $0.50 an hour... pumping gas, fixing tires, LOF, brakes & exhaust...

This is a beautiful bike, Tinker!

Thanks for the compliment on old blue. I worked at a Standard Oil Station doing the same thing. Can't remember what I got paid . Had a better job in 1964 flipping burgers at a hamburger joint for 90 cents an hour. A good burger was 15 cents and a cheeseburger was 18 cents. Real cheese and freshly cut potatoes for the fries and a decent size hamburger from U.S. beef. I loved decals as a kid.....my brother and I would fight over who got to open the "Wheaties" box first to get the free decal. He always won:) , as he was older...

Back