When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bluebird paint codes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A little quick background here--my Dad was a body/paint man for 50 years and I was raised with sandpaper in my hands. I have painted more than a few cars to include streetrods and special interest autos. Yes, paint does fade or oxidize which results in a color change. As Ken said you try to find paint under a head badge or underneath a fender, guard, or rack.

Regarding the early paint codes I'm providing a link to a site and using this I have been able to get paint mixed by my local jobber. While some of the bicycle colors may not have 'codes' those that have had them mixed certainly have the formula that any paint supplier could mix. I suppose part of the problem with this hobby is that few have taken the time to document or do scholarly research on the more technical aspects of the hobby-to include paint. Hampering this is the reluctance or refusal of some folks to share their knowledge. As an example I called the Bicycle Museum of America for some info and was rather rudely told they do not share their archives with anyone. That's kinda weird since I thought the purpose of a real museum was to provide learning and access so that the body of knowledge could be expanded?

If I get some time this year I will make an effort to research and provide some of the codes for the more popular stuff e.g. Phantom greens, reds, and blues. My Dad also has the original Schwinn post war chips he found in the seat tube of his '47 straight bar. Also for the bikes I have I can take them to my local jobber and get a spectrophotometer read and provide the formulas. This should at least help a few folks out there. I know that those that make their living restoring bicycles may disagree with my position and I certainly don't want to upset anyone and mean no malice towards anyone. For the most part I've found the people in the bicycle hobby to be friendly, enthusiastic, if not sometimes a little eccentric--but who am I to talk? V/r Shawn

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

I do body and paint for a living also and i would much rather give someone the paint code to something instead of let them paint it the wrong color. What would you rather see, a bluebird painted the right color or it being the wrong color and being ridiculed at the show with everyone talking bad about the bike since it's the wrong color? The other thing to consider is that not everyone can afford a proffesional restoration on a bike that i have heard cost in upwards of $5k??? That in my opinion is insane. $2k is more realistic for the paint and chrome work. If parts are missing, that's a different story.

I used to own a body/repair shop that restored classic cars (as well as late-model collision stuff) for 20+ years, and I can't understand the reluctance to share paint codes. We never had any issues with sharing codes, whether we had a factory code to go by, or had to scan and color match, or I'd spent 2 hours looking through chip books.

Try going to an older well-established paint shop and ask to look thru their paint chip books. Different decades were known for specific colors, so you will want to be able to go back 50-60 years. I choose a lot of old colors this way. Just keep in mind some chips age better than others- red is the weakest pigment and prone to fading and color change the most.

But dang, I would think you could find someone to share their codes with you eventually? :confused: BFD.

Darcie

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

402960_138116762998668_229733662_n_zps02-1.jpg

First of all, I just threw up a little bit so thank you for that.

Secondly, I don't understand the big deal in providing paint codes either. Having paint codes doesn't make you a good painter. If someone doesn't know how to or have the facility to produce a quality paint job, they're still going to seek help from a professional. I'm the Larry Watson of rattle can paint jobs but I would still have my bike painted by a professional if I was working on a high-end restoration.

Back