When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bluebird Technical Discussion 1935-1937

-

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
The Elgin Bluebird is perhaps the most iconic prewar bicycle there is. Yet, it seems, there is a lot we don't know about these bikes. This thread is for technical discussions to try and get at some of the nuances of these bikes. So I'll start off first by re-hashing some of what we went over in other threads. Below are pics of the underneath of both my original BB and Extra Crispy (EC) (my project bird). Joe B. theorizes that the first bikes had these two welds. Additionally both of my bikes have straight (not dogleg) crank arms, the early seat post design (not reinforced-a fatty), and neither have alemite fittings in the bottom bracket. The serial number on my original paint bike is N126869 and EC is 128124 and both have "B10" stamped separately. Redline1968's bike has the alemite fittings, evidently no welds underneath tank, and is a darker blue. Serial is N153133 with "B11". Obviously a later bike but does this represent a change somewhere in '35 or is it a '36 model?

At some point I hope we can gather enough information and reach consensus in order to produce a monograph on these bikes. Anyone having a '35-37 ONLY please feel free to share as much as you have on these bikes. V/r Shawn

DSC_1175 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1264 - Copy.JPG

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's not later it's the same 1935. I have no neck reinforcements and here evidence of N in the numbers indicates 35. This blue was reapplied by the owner who bought the bike originally. It's quite Possibly yours were built by another employee who used this technique of brazing since they were hand built. Just in case Here are some pics I previously posted to help you in your quest.

I've asked the mods to delete the post. Three posts in and already someone is trying to sidetrack the discussion by adding no value. Let's keep this about the '35-7 Bluebird. If you want to discuss the merits of another brand, model, etc... Please feel free to start your own thread. V/r Shawn

View attachment 304801 View attachment 304800 View attachment 304798 View attachment 304795 View attachment 304792 It's not later it's the same 1935. I have no neck reinforcements and here evidence of N in the numbers indicates 35. This blue was reapplied by the owner who bought the bike originally. It's quite Possibly yours were built by another employee who used this technique of brazing since they were hand built. Just in case Here are some pics I previously posted to help you in your quest.

I doubt this was an employee doing his own thing as my bikes are 1255 bikes apart by serial #. This looks to have been a standard thing for the early bikes as Chris' features these same two welds according to Joe B. I would like to know what the serial on Chris' bike is? V/r Shawn

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
In keeping with the technical features of the bike I've done some measurements in areas including the spposed reinforcement above the tank seat tube. This is what I found upper seat tube is 1 1/16 and the lower tube below the tank is also 1 1/16 inches. The front lower is 1 1/8" pics for references. based on my measurements there is no change for the fatty tube change over.

Robertriley's 1935 Bluebird

Head tube protrusion passed the stamped sheet metal
N prefix serial number
Non re-inforced seat tube junction
Brazed points at bottom of monocoque tank
Remnants of French Blue
No alemite kit installed on BB
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg