When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bluebird Technical Discussion 1935-1937

-
Would also like to see differences in speedos
minez is D10 C73"X"O6 (can't make out 3rd numb) no BB fitting, stepped seat post, early fenders, flush head tube, no brass gobs

Thanks Tarry but that serial does not follow any convention for what we've seen so far. Wander if maybe a late '37? V/r Shawn

that serial does not follow any convention for what we've seen so far.

IMG_3653_zpsbjwql7xn.jpg

From what I can tell, I think mine is a 37 model for sure. Opalescent Blue paint, Alemite fittings, etc.
The only thing my bike has that is in the grey area between years, is that it had the dial speedometer instead of the roller type that was more typical of a 37 model.
So it may be an early 37.
I'll get some pictures of the serial number as soon as I can, and post them here.

P.S. If that patent drawing doesn't get your juices flowing, then you're in the wrong hobby.

Also, interesting to note, that a B.C. Jiffy stand is shown in the patent drawing.

Last edited:
I find it interesting my bike has a couple of serial numbers, N131944 - 1935 and A191798 - 1936
I've always thought it was built in 1935 and released in 1936 with the new color, still do.
I wasn't expecting to see later N serial numbers without the A stamping or earlier A stamped bluebirds without the B stamping. Goes to show not everything goes in sequence...
Technically, my bike is a 1936, but SN's that year went from A5429 to A266083 according to Mr. Columbia's records, but that's quite some time sitting around between build and release.
Yes, mine has the 2 brass spots underside and alemite fittings in the crank hanger (also in the hubs).
Chris

Back