When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boiled linseed oil?

-
I think "boiled" meaning "not boiled but full of driers" goes back 50 years or more. Am I wrong?

Probably not that far back. Maybe the late 80's early 90's? when all the paint was being changed with the unwanted help of the EPA.

With that screw on cap and no metric labeling I'll bet it's older than 15-20 years. Does the can have a bar code? That's a keeper. And it says "pure."

Bar code? Haha! I just did the math. When you get old time flies and it even gets harder to remember time. That can was from at least the early to mid 80's.

I had a half used gallon can of real boiled linseed oil in my shed and when I moving out of that house I noticed that the can was empty. Half a gallon drained out all over the concrete and was cured over many years. I tried like heck to clean up that mess but wasn't very successful. It was in a clump that was stuck to the slab and a 1-1/2" wood chisel and 28 oz hammer could not remove it. It was hard but not brittle, somewhat resin like and similar to maybe an old car tire. The papers to the house were signed so I said the heck with it and left it. lol

I had a half used gallon can of real boiled linseed oil in my shed and when I moving out of that house I noticed that the can was empty. Half a gallon drained out all over the concrete and was cured over many years. I tried like heck to clean up that mess but wasn't very successful. It was in a clump that was stuck to the slab and a 1-1/2" wood chisel and 28 oz hammer could not remove it. It was hard but not brittle, somewhat resin like and similar to maybe an old car tire. The papers to the house were signed so I said the heck with it and left it. lol
I bought a older metal file cabinet that I really wanted that had BLO spilled all over it and it had dried on solid as a rock. Man that stuff was hard to get off, but I managed to do it without ruining the paint on the file cabinet. I think it was soaking it with a lot of lacquer thinner as I remember it. Tough stuff when it's on thick like that.

I recall my dad mixing it with white lead, making caulk. I kick myself for tossing out the old gun he used. It was a closed metal tube that looked like the caulking guns of today, but you filled it yourself and cleaned it out afterwards. Kind of like a grease gun. Never seen another one like it. I've used boiled linseed oil on wood ladders back in the 70's. It's a cheap preservative.

My grandfather used to drive a Kaiser .He wiped it down every Saturday with a kerosene.It shined like it was just waxed and only took about 10 minutes.lol Never tried it on a bike

Probably not that far back. Maybe the late 80's early 90's? when all the paint was being changed with the unwanted help of the EPA.

Bar code? Haha! I just did the math. When you get old time flies and it even gets harder to remember time. That can was from at least the early to mid 80's.

GTs58... Will it sand-blast to bare metal if one decides later to paint?

Back