When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boiled linseed oil?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank You!

I actually filmed the entire process of disassembly, oxidation removal, detailing, and re-assembly. As soon as I get the rear rack and headlight lens in, I will finish the video and it will be on my YouTube channel. I will be doing this for a number of bikes in the coming months. I also included a short section about safely disassembling and cleaning that original prewar/wartime speedometer!

I'll be posting about these videos in the near future!

As we approach the distant future ;), I was wondering if you posted your videos, and if so do you have a link to them?

Over time will the BLO yellow on your bike as it does around the spout of the can?

Over time will the BLO yellow on your bike as it does around the spout of the can?

If you pour it on and let it sit for a few months it might. The gallon can I had blow up in storage left a pile on the concrete that turned to a reddish brown tough resin that I couldn't even chisel off the floor.

Boiled Linseed Oil is my go to for spoke threads when building a wheel, and it's food grade analog flaxseed oil is how I season cast iron pans for cooking. During wheelbuilding the BLO acts a lubricant, then over time as it dries it acts as a threadlocker of sorts, but is perfect because it isn't so tacky that you can't turn the nipples later.

This thread has lots of awesome info about an amazing and ancient natural oil! Thanks everyone for sharing, and thank you to the Earth for providing!

I've just been introduced to the idea of using BLO to coat metal and have been been doing some online research to learn more. So at this point I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :)

I like the idea of it in the right circumstance. Personally, I don't like the wet look, but I really do like the satin look. Seems like that comes down to technique. And I like how it offers a similar protection to wax but won't fill in the the patina topography with white residue the way waxes and polishes can.

Though I am concerned about yellowing over time, especially for a bike that's ridden frequently and regularly exposed to sunlight, it sounds like it can be removed and reapplied without too much trouble if that were to happen. Anyone out there have a BLO coated bike that has seen a lot of time outside? I've also read the finish can be marred by water. Any experience with that?

Here's something of interest I found along the way (emphasis added) :

Linseed products on the market today are sold as “Boiled Linseed Oil” or “Purified Linseed Oil”. Originally linseed oil was boiled in a vacuum to remove molecules of oxygen and breakdown its food components, principally fatty acids. This process accomplished a few things: it enhanced drying time; reduced stickiness; and it helped reduce the tendency of the oil to turn rancid.​
Today the term boiled linseed oil is in many cases is a slight misnomer and in other cases a total misnomer. Most BLO products sold today as boiled linseed oil are no longer boiled but are instead enhanced with chemicals that decrease drying time, thin the oil to a workable state and impair rancidity. Because of this boiled linseed oil is no longer a green product nor is it classified as a food-safe product.​
There is a new system (actually a very old process re-introduced) of refining raw linseed oil. The product is most frequently labeled “Purified Linseed Oil”. Producers of PLO have reverted back to simply boiling the oil in modern pressurized cooking pots and market it without chemical additives. Purified linseed oil is green and food-safe.​

I think it's worth mentioning for those who have an interest in being as green as practicable (myself included) and for those who mentioned using BLO on cookware. It would also be great to hear from anyone having experience using both.

All offered up as fodder for conversation, not as the final word on anything. :)

Last edited:
So today they are not boiling the oil and then labeling the product as boiled? Makes total sense with the way things are today right? And it seems right on par with the pharmaceuticals and caffeine made today, in China.
I've been using old stuff, really old. Nowhere on the cans does it mention exactly what the hell it is other than boiled. When did this not boiled boiled linseed oil come to be? And how can they get away with that labeling?
Here's one of the NOS quart cans I have. It has not been opened and it has to be 15-20 years old or more. I had a two car garage full of paint and paint products after the little lady shut down her painting business.

Last edited:
Usually linseed oil with japan driers added. US labels and SDS' can't really be trusted about what is in there and where it is from (yay, corporate masters!). Find an EU label for slightly better information.

So today they are not boiling the oil and then labeling the product as boiled? Makes total sense with the way things are today right? And it seems right on par with the pharmaceuticals and caffeine made today, in China.
I've been using old stuff, really old. Nowhere on the cans does it mention exactly what the hell it is other than boiled. When did this not boiled boiled linseed oil come to be? And how can they get away with that labeling?
Here's one of the NOS quart cans I have. It has not been opened and it has to be 15-20 years old or more. I had a two car garage full of paint and paint products after the little lady shut down her painting business.

View attachment 1309942
With that screw on cap and no metric labeling I'll bet it's older than 15-20 years. Does the can have a bar code? That's a keeper. And it says "pure."

I think "boiled" meaning "not boiled but full of driers" goes back 50 years or more. Am I wrong?

Back