When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boiled linseed oil?

-
My current project, a '62 Roadmaster, I decided to use BLO on it, something I never used before. I ended up using a local brand called "Circa 1850" It's double boiled, not sure what kind of difference it makes? But same company also makes some killer gel paint stripper. So far, I'm liking the result of it..

Reactions: ian
My current project, a '62 Roadmaster, I decided to use BLO on it, something I never used before. I ended up using a local brand called "Circa 1850" It's double boiled, not sure what kind of difference it makes? But same company also makes some killer gel paint stripper. So far, I'm liking the result of it..
I just put a second coat on my '61 Skyrider. It looks pretty cool, especially in a low light situation. I'll post pics later. Ian

Here's a couple pics from this morning.

20201218_080134.jpg

20201218_080028.jpg

20201218_080125.jpg

Since I just happen to have a 5gal. can of BLO lying around I think I will experiment with it on some old metal. I've used it on wood but it never crossed my mind to use it on metal. If I remember I will take pics before and after. May even find a piece big enough to show side by side treated/untreated.

50/50 Penetrol and denatured alcohol is a finish I’ve used on tons of projects. Wipe it on, let it sit for little bit, wipe off, repeat. Dried to a nice matte.

Reactions: ian
50/50 Penetrol and denatured alcohol is a finish I’ve used on tons of projects. Wipe it on, let it sit for little bit, wipe off, repeat. Dried to a nice matte.
Interesting. Never heard of Penetrol being used for that. I've seen what a big puddle of boiled linseed oil turns into after a few years and can say that's some really tough schit that can't be chiseled off. What does some dried up Penetrol look like?

PENETROL® Oil-Based Coating Additive​

GetFile.png

PENETROL® Oil-Based Coating Additive is a versatile low-odor additive to improve penetration, adhesion and flow of oil-based paints, stains, varnishes and primers.
  • Improves penetration and adhesion to compensate for weathering on surface
  • Improves flow to reduce brush marks; extends open and working times
  • Restores luster to faded, weathered fiberglass
  • Inhibits rust on metal surfaces

I used BLO on my 46 Rollfast and love the results. It brought life back to the paint and protects the metal both painted and chromed against rust.
Several members said it looks too wet and is sticky. Very true if heavily applied but not if used in a light application. I wiped my bike down and later came back with a dry clean rag and wiped some of it away. The bike finish was dry by morning.
The rags will self combust so either put them in a can and burn them or soak them in a water bucket and leave it outside way from the house just in case.

Back