When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boiled linseed oil?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Lance Vangraham

Finally riding a big boys bike
How many folks have uses boiled linseed oil on thier projects? Pros and cons? Thinking of trying it on my b6 when it's done. Thanks!

Weekend before last I did the planks on my car hauler. Great stuff and the price is right.
Here's a Patina'd truck that was done with Linseed oil. And the discussion. >>>> https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/linseed-oil-over-patina.711515/

imageuploadedbytapatalk1340847242-668742-jpg.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1340847259-050598-jpg.jpg

How many folks have uses boiled linseed oil on thier projects? Pros and cons? Thinking of trying it on my b6 when it's done. Thanks!

At an antique auto show,(‘20s Fords) a guy
had repainted his “tin-Lizzie” using combination of kerosene, with enamel
using a sable brush. I’ve read that
before spray paint~guns, this was common
practice with some auto factories. But I
cannot say for sure if this is true.

The paint job on the tin-Lizzie was very well
done. But it was a slow procress. He applied
one coat enamel and with rags & kerosene,
he sanded as needed before applying another
coat of enamel.
Bear in mind that these methods were done
in a time when abestos was also used on walls and ceilings at home. Obviously, not too safe!

In the past, I have used linseed oil,
wood stain, vinegar & brass to create rust
and also a faux patina.
Mostly on project frames and so far, no
problem. Mostly in a ventilated area away from people and pets with safety gear when handling toxic material.

My original bikes I simply dust off and lubricate as needed.

Last edited:
Normally I do use wax, but had read about the linseed oil. The paint is in good shape on the bike, just wanna add some shine to it.

You need to be careful with rubbing compound on secondary colors which were generally shot pretty thin. May want to try a polishing compound first to see if you get the desired results and finish with a good wax. Linseed oil just makes it look greasy in my opinion and could stain clothing as well. V/r Shawn

Thinking of trying this boiled linseed oil. How long, with one application, will boiled linseed oil keep its shine (as greasy as it might look) on a bicycle?? Does it have to be re-applied often?
Thanks, Pete in Fitchburg

Linseed oil is the main base to oil based paints. It's a slow dry oil, kerosine is a thinner similar to mineral spirits but slower drying. I use all of this in my work of decorative painting.

What I was taught by an old timer to control the sheen of oil base paints is to add.....corn starch. You can control from high gloss (none added) to matte (a lot added)
I would suggest to add some Japan dryer to help it set (dry) because it might take a couple days to dry and collect dust.
Basically your making clear cheap thin oil based paint that yellows in the sunlight.

Back