When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boiled linseed oil?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you know what you are doing the results IMO are worth the effort for a crusty original paint bike. There are truck loads of how to videos and information on the net from people that don't know what the f they are doing, to the experts and everyone in between. Nice job Mr. Larson

Thank You!

I actually filmed the entire process of disassembly, oxidation removal, detailing, and re-assembly. As soon as I get the rear rack and headlight lens in, I will finish the video and it will be on my YouTube channel. I will be doing this for a number of bikes in the coming months. I also included a short section about safely disassembling and cleaning that original prewar/wartime speedometer!

I'll be posting about these videos in the near future!

My uncle Jim was a vintage body and fender guy from the 40's .Said the best way to paint a car and get the best finish was a combination of gasoline and lacquer paint ... Would leave a perfect shine ...Dangerous practice ...But seems like the gas from the past not only smelled good but didn't leave a bad taste like the gas of today...
Gasoline from the past also evaporated a lot quicker.

Thank You!

I actually filmed the entire process of disassembly, oxidation removal, detailing, and re-assembly. As soon as I get the rear rack and headlight lens in, I will finish the video and it will be on my YouTube channel. I will be doing this for a number of bikes in the coming months. I also included a short section about safely disassembling and cleaning that original prewar/wartime speedometer!

I'll be posting about these videos in the near future!

Very cool! Can’t wait! Have much to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used boiled linseed oil on a couple of bikes with good results. The rags are very flammable and I just dispose if them by burning them outside.

Wanting to try BTO err BLO on one bike. Also, use a wax or paste (?) on another. See which I prefer. Can anyone offer a suggestion for a brand or a particular automotive product as far as the waste pax paste wax is concerned?

I use linseed oil, cut 1-1 of lacquer thinner. It cleans and preserves. Try a small section, under the bottom bracket, for testing.....

Looks too wet. Is too wet. Used rags are extremely flammable. Why not just use an automotive paste wax?
Automotive paste wax, even the best, does not prevent it from rerusting. I did a few bikes that way and I need to do them all over with the linseed oil. They are rusting on all the metal parts. Stuff I did with linseed oil still looks like the day I did them.

Back