When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bonderizing removal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ChuckM

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I'm removing black paint from a bonderized '54 Hercules built Western Flyer. I feel like the paint is coming off fairly easily with Klean-Strip, but what is remaining is actually the bonderizing primer. And while I think a bit more elbow grease is going to get it off, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting it down to bare metal a little faster.

Thanks

I wish I had access to a sandblaster. But as far as rust, there was none other than a little surface rust. Looking down the seat tube, into the bottom bracket, head tube and steerer tube, Hercules protected this thing quite well as there is a heavy coat of the boderizing material inside it.

I'm a big fan of wire wheels. I have a big buffer with an 8"wheel, I have also used a 4" grinder with a cup type wheel like the picture. a wheel on a drill may not have the power depending on your drill..

Crimped-Cup-Brush-BG_480x.jpg

Brother ChuckM:
Are you sure it's bonderized? A bit unusual for a bike. If it is bonderized, you should be able to paint over that successfully. It is a coating system designed to be painted. Have fun!

Brother ChuckM:
Are you sure it's bonderized?
Yes. And I had a new Guaranteed Hand Brazed and Bonderized decal made by H Lloyd because the old one was nearly gone and all the money I've wasted on it so far hasn't been enough. LOL.

This morning I put some of the stripper in the white paint on the head tube. It came off very easily so I’m pretty sure that the black remaining is the bonderizing. I think I’ll not worry about getting it all off because if it has stayed that long it isn’t coming off. And if it doesn’t react to the primer I will use it will probably be fine.

This morning I put some of the stripper in the white paint on the head tube. It came off very easily so I’m pretty sure that the black remaining is the bonderizing. I think I’ll not worry about getting it all off because if it has stayed that long it isn’t coming off. And if it doesn’t react to the primer I will use it will probably be fine.
Depending on what stripper you're using, it can multiple applications of the stripper to remove all the paint and primer. Got some pictures, I'd like to see what you're dealing with.

I use a 10" wire wheel on a "BIG" bench grinder. Gotta be careful darn thing will take your arm off with the paint. Nope double-sided open wheels no guards. Man does that work & fast! We don't need no stink'n guards ... ouch that hurts to. lol

I use a 10" wire wheel on a "BIG" bench grinder. Gotta be careful darn thing will take your arm off with the paint. Nope double-sided open wheels no guards. Man does that work & fast! We don't need no stink'n guards ... ouch that hurts to. lol
You remove paint off a bike frame with a bench grinder? I'd love to see you doing that! Got a video?

Back