When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottecchia 10 speed

-

Fritz Katzenjammer

Finally riding a big boys bike
One of the guys I work with is moving house and told me he had an old Bianchi road bike hanging in the rafters that he wanted disposed of. With visions of pretty light green racers from the 70s or 80s in my head I told him to drop it by and I be sure it found a good home.

This is what was dropped of, I’ve never heard of this company but the old thing is littered with nice components. Its got “world champion” stickers on it from 1964 till 1967 and a set of Olympic rings on the handlebars, so I’m thinking its from about 1968. I pumped up the tires and took it carefully around the block and it all seems to work well, if a little stiffly, so the bike is up for a good service and then perhaps a light restoration.

So here’s the question, has anybody an idea of model? Was this a good make when this was made? Have I just lucked out large?

or should I be making a trailbike out of it...

Greg LeMond, won the 1989 Tour de France, on a Bottecchia.
He came from behind, on the last day of competition, and won by 8 seconds.
It was the closest margin of victory in the history of the race.

Some of the most endearing pictures of the Tour de France in the early days, are of, Ottavio Bottecchia.

He rode a French built, Automoto then.

But, this guy was a classic!
He lived and literally died on his bicycle.

So, there you have it!
Way cooler, and more unusual, than a Bianchi.
In my humble opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Brazed on cable guides and bosses for the down tube shifters and side pull brakes. I think it’s probably late seventies. Someone may be able to get closer identifying the derailleur. Looks like a nice rider. Enjoy 🚴

@juvela, you are a walking enCYCLEopedia.
Thank you, for the weath of knowledge you bring to these discussions.
It’s much appreciated!

-----

manufacturer: Teodoro Carnielli

date: early 1980's, ~1982

model: midliner

tubeset: may be Columbus Aelle

gear ensemble: Campag 980, front mech is Campag Nuovo Valentino

chainset: OFMEGA Gran Premio

hubs, headset and pedals likely OFMEGA

-----
You are indeed a fount of good information. Thanks!

it has a Columbus Zeta label on the frame, so she’s a heavy metal girl.

From my short test ride the machine really rides well and seems to want to cruise at a pretty good clip with little effort, so it is definitely a keeper. I cleaned it up a bit today and the paint is in pretty nice shape and the decals are mostly in spectacular condition, the only real loser being the one on the chain stay which is pretty much shot. In differance to my poor back I plan to put some kinder bars on this bike and a nice Brooks saddle so I can enjoy this thing in comfort (all reversible alterations)

there are Universal brakes on it, which work fine, but I was recently gifted a set of Modolo Speedies, which are really pretty, any opinion as to which would be better on the road?

any idea what something like this would have been worth new? I’m wondering how it would compare to my beloved 77 Centurion Pro Tour.

-----

Columbus Zeta is a thinwall hi-tensile tubeset which is a definite step up from "gas pipe" in terms of weight and dampening

it is roughly parallel to Z50

the Nuovo Valentino front mech was employed by Campag as a companion for the 980 and 990 model rear mechs as there was no 980 or 990 model front mech

do not have any printed material from Carnielli for this era; would estimate that subject machine is a two up from the base sort of model

the forum had an earlier discussion thread on a similarly kitted Bianchi model 980 ~1982 here -

-----

Back