When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottecchia 10 speed

-
-----

Columbus Zeta is a thinwall hi-tensile tubeset which is a definite step up from "gas pipe" in terms of weight and dampening

it is roughly parallel to Z50

the Nuovo Valentino front mech was employed by Campag as a companion for the 980 and 990 model rear mechs as there was no 980 or 990 model front mech

do not have any printed material from Carnielli for this era; would estimate that subject machine is a two up from the base sort of model

the forum had an earlier discussion thread on a similarly kitted Bianchi model 980 ~1982 here -

-----
Thanks again for the information. I spent a bit of the day out in the garage touching ip the paint today ( a very small bit, its 100 out there today! ) the bike is cleaning up well and after very little tinkering is riding beautifully. I think it was very well cared for right up until it was abandoned a few years back. And it did manage to spend those lost years in a dry place, so that helps.

I ride it a bit for the rest of the year and then really go over it during the next winter.

this is my second “trash” bike this year, I’ve also scored a 1977 Panasonic built Centurion Pro Tour, quite literally off the scrap heap at work. Its amazing what people deem trash these days. Its also coming along well...

-----

recent fire at Bottecchia facility -

interesting to note absence of Teodoro Carnielli name

perhaps rights to Bottecchia marque for cycles was sold to another company...

-----

All those Carbon Fibre and resin fumes can't be good for anyone!
A real shame, great bikes.

I had one of these back in the late 1970s. Used it as a long distance bike, took it to Japan with me in 1980. I was in an accident that bent the frame, finally, and had to let it go. It was Italian threaded and decked out with some fairly obscure parts when I got it, not as nice as yours.

Back