When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottecchia Giro 'd Italia from 1972

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Coalfield

Finally riding a big boys bike
This bike was acquired from the original owner who kept it in storage for many years before deciding to sell.
All I have changed from original are the seatpin/clamp, rear derailleur. New hoods from Rustines, Benotto vinyl bar wrap, and back to a leather saddle and tubular wheels.

The Giro 'd Italia model used the same frameset as top level Professional with lesser components. Columbus SP tubing, Campagnolo derailleurs/shifters, Nervar crankset, Universal brakes/levers, Carnielli stem (faux lugged).

edit = On first, short ride, after wheels swapped & saddle+stem height adjust (bad freewheel, meant wheel swap was fastest way for check ride)
Botte before.JPG

After refurbishment
Botte after.JPG

Bottecchia headbadge.JPG

Bottecchia universal hood replacements.jpg

Since most of my acquisitions are framesets, this one was mostly a clean and lube with minimal substitutions.

Will update later with a couple of more pics. After today's ride........

Last edited:
I like the long point lugs, chrome fork crown and narrow handlebars as well as the SP tubes in a 58cm frame. I'm running 28mm tubulars and on pavement it is a cloudlike ride. Probably should run 24mm for a racier feel without being too stiff.
The top tube Giro ‘d Italia decal was badly damaged. Removed and may get replaced.
Brazing and lug finish is mediocre. But no voids, only a bit of excess .
100FF1FD-3FA5-4589-9F30-9336BAA13484.jpeg
AFE48D2D-A0CC-4EC4-BEC9-807CF705DB4C.jpeg
C3AC1B90-A55E-4C28-8502-0EBABE905C2E.jpeg
825E2B35-D38D-4320-909B-9B9A10A5E704.jpeg
0F6BD75A-5B7E-4C0D-B174-18D62C4616D2.jpeg

The original owner said he purchased in Summer '72 in Calgary, CA. Maybe he was off a year. I should check other components more closely. The local guy I swapped Record for NR rear der had a '73, which I remember thinking at the time, "1 year off = close enough". Owner also did not prefer tubulars for a long tour and had the hubs re-laced with sturdy (heavy) clincher rims. I have that wheelset, but 'upgraded' to vintage tubulars as a rider.

Last edited:
-----

wrt dating -

if the previous owner of your example had the original Nuovo Tipo hubs a date could be read from the axle locknut inner faces

from your "as found" image appears the wheels had already been changed out from what was there OEM

-----

Oooopps, i goofed on post #1 - and have edited.
here is the seller's pic.
it came with Normandy high flange hubs, not sure the model (and it's a ladder climb to 'wheel storage'). Owner said 're-laced' Ambrosio Elite rims. Maybe he said 'replaced with' and I mis-heard.
01212_7XHV5LO2q2W_600x450[1].jpg
00c0c_jLAf91kGnh2_600x450[1].jpg

apologies for my bad memory.

I'm not too concerned about absolute originality. I did keep original seatpin&saddle clamp. Record rd swapped for NR and original freewheel was toasted badly. Never saw original saddle.

And for all asking the question,
"Why the black tape at the bar ends?"

And the answer is simple.
30-40 year old vinyl 'tape' gets stiff
even with a hair dryer in use.
But I am cautious and balked at overheating,
and drew the line when flame was mentioned
to help ease the vinyl into the bar end.

So, it got taped.
rather than discarded.
i prefer Newbaums cotton.
hate waste too.
it's different
and visual.

-----

thank you for the clarification

IIRC the OEM hub for this model at this time was the Campg Nuovo Tipo large flange thrity-six hole QR

here is one on a blue Giro d'Italia dated 1973 by owner:

the Mikashima Unique pedals you received with it are certainly an upgrade over the Sheffield Corsa Nr. 655 which would have been on there from the factory

-----

Back