When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Bottle Cap" badges

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for posting up the ad Cliff! This might be the bike, but those look like painted wood wheels. This has crusty wood clad wheels with a model C, so thinking it might be a couple years later? Maybe I can finally make it to your local motorbike ride this year!
With model c it would have to be 1926-33, but that paint scheme makes it earlier like 1923-4 ?
My guess wheels were replaced, though I would keep those hubs on bicycle.
In April the American Motor-Bike crew will be at the Ford Model A meet in City of Orange, so we will see you there, right

Does anyone have a clue how these badges were applied? What kind of tool was used to spread the cap from the inside of the head without damaging the badge front (?) .. or were they just soldered on?

Think of the form of just the palm-side of your right thumb.

Think of the form of your left .palm (covered in thick, but
supple leather) ... curving around the front of a badge that
has a B/C already soldered to the back of that badge ...

You allow the B/C to enter the half-inch diameter portal
drilled into the front of the head-tube ...

The back of the badge flush-fits to the front of the head-tube ...

You take that right. thumb of yours -- insert it into the open-top
of the head-tube -- your thumb searches for that B/C ... BINGO !!

Your right. thumb now puts pressure on the felt-edges of the B/C ...
you begin pushing in the direction of your waiting and reinforced
left. palm ... Wha-Lah !!

NOW ...
translate the thumb / palm. symphony into tool steel and
weld it to the jaw-area of a large vise-grip.

..... patric

About that badge ... you are. going to check for correct badge
directionality before any of the attaching starts, right ? GOOD FORM !!

@fordsnake

Last edited:
Thanks Patric, I think I understand the process...but have you ever seen one of these tools?

@fordsnake

No I have not - Carlton.

But .. if the picture is clear in one's mind -- that tool
maybe-could be made ... got an old vise-grip layin'
around ?

The palm-cup part could be made of an old bicycle
crankcase ... possibly removing a section vertically
as the piece is standing on one end -- and tweaked
a bit so the inside diameter of this pre-tool is a bit
larger than the outside diameter of the head-tube ...
which will have a badge on it plus leather padding.

The thumb-press part may have to be carved out of
a chunk of 3/4'' (+ / -) steel rod .... welded to the side
of the same stuff then welded to the jaw of the vise-grip.

Alignment of the numerous pieces of the tool could be
problematic.

Don't think it would take a bunch of effort to squish that
bottle-cap ''wide open'' .. over the half-inch portal in the
head-tube. Most of those B/C's are about as thin as many
badges I've seen.

Last edited:
yeah, iI think I understand. But if the leather (or something else covered and protected the badge) then how does one align the badge accurately? It's a one shot deal, no room for error! I'm asking this question because if a bike were assembled outside of the factory...could anyone have applied a B/C badge?

In other words, 99% of TOC bicycles could have been assembled by non tech or an inexperience persons with no skills. Much of assembling bike is wrenching and adding on supplied parts, i.e., bearings, saddle, wheels, bars, etc. However the brazing, painting, pin stripping and dialing in the bike to its factory specs did required skilled labor.

I find these bottle caps badges are curiously interesting and imagine the process was costly to the bottom line of the company, versus screwing the badge directly on to the head tube.

It's hard to believe this "tool" was jerry-rigged in the factory? From what has been shared here (pics), there appears to have been numerous manufacturers producing bicycles with B/C badges. I'm just surprise the "tool" or its patent has never surfaced?

yeah, iI think I understand. But if the leather (or something else covered and protected the badge) then how does one align the badge accurately? It's a one shot deal, no room for error! I'm asking this question because if a bike were assembled outside of the factory...could anyone have applied a B/C badge?

In other words, 99% of TOC bicycles could have been assembled by non tech or an inexperience persons with no skills. Much of assembling bike is wrenching and adding on supplied parts, i.e., bearings, saddle, wheels, bars, etc. However the brazing, painting, pin stripping and dialing in the bike to its factory specs did required skilled labor.

I find these bottle caps badges are curiously interesting and imagine the process was costly to the bottom line of the company, versus screwing the badge directly on to the head tube.

It's hard to believe this "tool" was jerry-rigged in the factory? From what has been shared here (pics), there appears to have been numerous manufacturers producing bicycles with B/C badges. I'm just surprise the "tool" or its patent has never surfaced?

[B]@fordsnake[/B]

Carlton ... the badge has been pre-curved to fit flush
with the head-tube.

Take a pre-curved badge with it's B/C soldered on ...
nonchalantly and without aiming .. place the badge
over the B/C portal on the head-tube. Let go ...
and everything falls into place.

Place that piece of insulating leather over the badge
face ... hold on tightly so that there is no micro-misalign-
ment ... grab the squeezer .. insert proper ends of tool
onto the critical areas, and squeeze.

I would think that a factory would have a professionally-
made tool. Have never seen any, tho.

Doesn't mean one will never show up, one day.

I was describing what or how the tool does. My thoughts
are applicable to a one-man army -- who builds custom
one-offs in a studio surround .. like yourself.

I am thinking that an effective pressing b/c tool could be made from a 3 foot long, rounded wood stave - perhaps metal clad on the end pressing against the bottle cap. It would not take a lot of engineering to make a "glove" metal form (matching the inner curved radius of the headtube) that would gimbal on a central bolt drilled though the end of the stave and give it a much better flush fit at the end of the pressing stroke. Inserted inside the head tube, one could jockey it around until the alignment is right and then lever the b/c flat by using a prying motion of the stave.

If it were made out of wood, it would be cheap to make and light when using. Consequently, you would probably not find many left (firewood) or recognize it as a bicycle tool.

I was reading about b/c badges in Shawn's Merkel monograph in the Article menu and it led me to this excellent thread and so I hope this idea might merit some consideration and add to the discussion.

Last edited:
Back