When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottom bracket noise.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Might be less hassle to just tear it all apart and check everything over, oil the chain and will probably fix the problem or you'll find it.

Reactions: ian
I replaced the BB bearings with new #66's.
Fresh grease, cleaned the cups. It makes almost constant noise pedaling uphill under load. Anybody have any tips?
'36 Rollfast.
I thought I had same problem w/my late 80's Schwinn World Sport. Checked it out. Smooth action. Turned out it was the pedal bearings making the noise.

Sounds more like the pedals making the noise have seen that before.
YES,I had a squeak that I could not find...it was the peddle bearings...only under torque, try taking your foot off each peddle while peddling with only one foot and see if it goes away, that's how I found my squeak. I thought for sure the sound was coming from he bottom bearings. Also as mentioned the chain...I just replaced my mountain bike chain, bike guy measured with a gauge and he said it should be replaced at 90, mine was 190!..bike is 3 years old but ride everyday, even in winter.

YES,I had a squeak that I could not find...it was the peddle bearings...only under torque, try taking your foot off each peddle while peddling with only one foot and see if it goes away, that's how I found my squeak. I thought for sure the sound was coming from he bottom bearings. Also as mentioned the chain...I just replaced my mountain bike chain, bike guy measured with a gauge and he said it should be replaced at 90, mine was 190!..bike is 3 years old but ride everyday, even in winter.
I'll try that! Thanks for the tip.

I tried new pedals, but no success. I'm still thinking it's the BB. I replaced the rear rim and cog/brake assembly. Now it could be a stretched chain I guess.

I tried new pedals, but no success. I'm still thinking it's the BB. I replaced the rear rim and cog/brake assembly. Now it could be a stretched chain I guess.
1657667739085.png

Not so sure a bad chain and ring interface will "creak" as Ian claims, especially if slobbered with oil. Worn chains "grind"& "groan" & "snap", not "creak". Did you do the "touch" test yet to more closely locate the noise? If not, why not? Metal Interface NOT chain related I would bet on it. Did you do the WD40/PBb test yet? If not why not? C'mon may, it cannot be this hard!(twss)🤣

Not so sure a bad chain and ring interface will "creak" as Ian claims, especially if slobbered with oil. Worn chains "grind"& "groan" & "snap", not "creak". Did you do the "touch" test yet to more closely locate the noise? If not, why not? Metal Interface NOT chain related I would bet on it. Did you do the WD40/PBb test yet? If not why not? C'mon may, it cannot be this hard!(twss)🤣
Haha! I haven't even gotten close to any of my rides in a while. I'm gonna hit the BB and any questionable areas with WD and see what transpires. This particular one may just turn into a late summer/early fall project.

Just take out the bearings maybe one is not seated maybe wrong size that should be first place to check

Haha! I haven't even gotten close to any of my rides in a while. I'm gonna hit the BB and any questionable areas with WD and see what transpires. This particular one may just turn into a late summer/early fall project.

Never ever squirt WD-40 on greased or oiled moving parts unless you're cleaning them.

Back