When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a Phantom, real or frankenbike?

-

BradCon

Look Ma, No Hands!
So I’m a newbie to the vintage bicycle world. I saw this for sale and did a little research. My research told me this was not the 1995 model and the serial number lookup tells me it’s a 1959 and I hope it is a true Phantom. The seat was restored, that’s why it’s black, but is it original? There is something funny with the rear rack support on the chain side, can you tell what’s going on?
Please be kind as I own the bike now. Is it a 1959 Phantom and are most parts original, reproduction or random Schwinn parts thrown together? I would like to know so I can start buying some replacement parts, either original or reproduction, depending on the condition of the bike.
I wouldn’t mind knowing what price this bike fits in, if you’re willing.
Any knowledge you can spare on this bike, what makes it what it is and 1959 oddities.
I’m really impressed with the amount of knowledge that is shared on this site. Truly impressive. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a Schwinn guy, but know just enough to be dangerous...looks absolutely real to me. All the right stuff on it (pedals, six hole rack etc.). I would have bought it too. The seat is restored, but that's usually a good thing and the bike has nice original patina. We'll let the Schwinn guys let you know more, but I think you did well.

I'm no Schwinn expert but to my eye most things look pretty correct for the 1950s. Serial number, New Departure Brake, level of patina and paint loss, wear and rust on bolts and fender braces. The paint is in better shape than my 1958 American but the overall wear and tear look very similar. For reference here is a few shots of mine. It was found with modern rims, repop tank (not generally correct for this model but there are no 1958 catalogs anyone knows of...) it had BMX pedals and bars, no seat. Lots of fun to ride through! ;)

Reactions: JLF
I'm not a Schwinn guy, but know just enough to be dangerous...looks absolutely real to me. All the right stuff on it (pedals, six hole rack etc.). I would have bought it too. The seat is restored, but that's usually a good thing and the bike has nice original patina. We'll let the Schwinn guys let you know more, but I think you did well.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I sure do like how you got this started.

I'm no Schwinn expert but to my eye most things look pretty correct for the 1950s. Serial number, New Departure Brake, level of patina and paint loss, wear and rust on bolts and fender braces. The paint is in better shape than my 1958 American but the overall wear and tear look very similar. For reference here is a few shots of mine. It was found with modern rims, repop tank (not generally correct for this model but there are no 1958 catalogs anyone knows of...) it had BMX pedals and bars, no seat. Lots of fun to ride through! ;)

Thanks for the feedback and pictures! Nice ride! I would welcome any pictures for reference from anybody. This is great!

The frame is 59. The Pedals and seat are not 59. Obviously the tank is not original, most likely a 90's cruiser tank. My guess is the chainguard is from an earlier Phantom, as the script is not 59. It's pieced together ok and could be a nice project. As it sits I wouldn't want to be in for more than $500 Have fun with it.

The frame is 59. The Pedals and seat are not 59. Obviously the tank is not original, most likely a 90's cruiser tank. My guess is the chainguard is from an earlier Phantom, as the script is not 59. It's pieced together ok and could be a nice project. As it sits I wouldn't want to be in for more than $500 Have fun with it.
Thanks Phantom. So the frame is a 59 Phantom, so that’s good. Is it worth finding the 59 parts and putting it back to a 59 or is that too much money to mess with and keep on piecing it together with what I can find? It’s going to be fun either way.

Thanks Phantom. So the frame is a 59 Phantom, so that’s good. Is it worth finding the 59 parts and putting it back to a 59 or is that too much money to mess with and keep on piecing it together with what I can find? It’s going to be fun either way.
Too much money is a pretty subjective question. Too much if it was mine yes. An original 59 tank, seat, guard, pedals and headlight cover ( in matching red patina ) could be close to .........let me just say a lot

Back