When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought a Phantom, real or frankenbike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't think Dan has ever reproduced the 59 Phantom guard decal. I've seen few over the years but these are not reproduced by anyone selling on eBay.
Was talking about all the other parts he needs! Don't know about stickers except for the BFG ones that he had made for me!

Over at Dave’s Vintage Bicycle website he has a 59 Phantom. It seems to have the same color tank as mine. To me they look very similar. If it isn’t can someone point out the differences so I can understand the differences? Granted, I’m assuming his is 59 accurate. http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle299/picture1168
His:

Mine:

I am guessing the bike is a 59 and the decal has been worn away and replaced with the ones readily available. I believe the tanks are interchangable but with different decals.

A red bike will have a red tank. Below are pics of my red '59 Phantom. Notice the difference in both the tank and chain guard decals compared to yours. Also notice the one year only tan vinyl seat. In these pics my bike is wearing the wrong pedals (correct for '58 and earlier) but this has since been corrected and it has the big bow cap pedals now. V/r Shawn

Freqman1, that’s a gorgeous bike and thank you for taking the time to point out the detailed differences. The chain guard and seat on mine are obviously different. The tank is now obvious to me with your example. Mine is the wrong color and the “Schwinn” on mine looks bigger and bolder with a different font. Is my seat all wrong? I know the color and material are wrong, but is the frame of the seat different too? only curious.

Back