When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden on craigslist

-
My , red Bowden , garage kept from 1960 , won in a newspaper contest

Screenshot_2020-01-07-23-34-44.png

I scoped my Bowden last year, I wasn't sure if it was original or reproduction I was looking for an internal frame, the results were no metal frame found.

Interestingly I did find a piece of wood going from the headtube down towards the crank/sprocket? I spoke to those in the know on Bowden's my bike is likely one of the prototypes. Here's a few photos of the inside of the Bowden including the 1x2"? piece of wood, more pictures here on the CABE when I scoped the bike, it was an interesting experience.

Mike

E3B58D07-A1F2-41DF-8ACA-2B58ED800B20.jpeg

1C5FA790-CE42-491E-8A8F-1BE352F7499F.jpeg

780A4E9C-C963-4371-990C-663EC2353851.jpeg

30F7F66A-E54F-44DE-90E5-C9F72BEBBD15.jpeg

Last edited:
This one is likely a repro, originals were cast in the color (gelcoat) but this one looks to be painted. Original c1960 models do not have any metal frame inside except the forks.

Where you at, @bikebozo? This topic has been covered many times... there are several "tells" for an orig. vs. a repro. The horn button alone is often a give away, but I don't see any detail shots here. An orig. cast in the color Spacelander with correct pedals, Mertens seat, Zephyr Flyte tires, grips, and orig. rack, not a repro, etc. might fetch close to this price, but if it's a repro, they seem to sell for about $3-4K.

Caveat emptor: buyer beware on this one, especially for fifteen large, and cash only no less!
Well put Justin.

Back