When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden on craigslist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This one is likely a repro, originals were cast in the color (gelcoat) but this one looks to be painted. Original c1960 models do not have any metal frame inside except the forks.

Where you at, @bikebozo? This topic has been covered many times... there are several "tells" for an orig. vs. a repro. The horn button alone is often a give away, but I don't see any detail shots here. An orig. cast in the color Spacelander with correct pedals, Mertens seat, Zephyr Flyte tires, grips, and orig. rack, not a repro, etc. might fetch close to this price, but if it's a repro, they seem to sell for about $3-4K.

Caveat emptor: buyer beware on this one, especially for fifteen large, and cash only no less!

Guy claims it has fiberglass frame, showed tag and numbers, but don't remember location on frame! Not an expert....

It is a reproduction, originals have no metal frame , the fibers show on an original , the give away on this bike , is the center extrusion moulding chrome looking strip plus how shiny it is . I THINK Mike Kaplan painted his bikes ,. He will write something . The metal frame was changed , inside of the Kaplan examples, I sold the photos of Mike Kaplans 1st generation metal frame, the reproductions are going up in price . Because they do not know the difference , and mostly do not care . They are bought as a visual piece , like art ,.the count of real Bowdens is not known , I am not aware of any failure of any Bowden , the company,lost there distribution, when the furniture co. Went bankrupt because of a vibrating lounge chair injured someone . My photos of originals are posted on the CABE, BEN SIGNED 13 bikes for me

Last edited:
Not trying to defend it but guy claims only metal is fork..... IDK, looked almost brand new when I saw it! Just repeating what he said, also how else would you pay for a bike without cash? I'm not taking a check, I own a business and could take a card, but then would have to pay taxes on that.... just my thoughts...

It is shiny , it has the extrusion in the center , it does not have a Mertens seat , it has everything that Mike Kaplan tells about when discussing his example

Back