When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden on craigslist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My , red Bowden , garage kept from 1960 , won in a newspaper contest

Screenshot_2020-01-07-23-34-44.png

I scoped my Bowden last year, I wasn't sure if it was original or reproduction I was looking for an internal frame, the results were no metal frame found.

Interestingly I did find a piece of wood going from the headtube down towards the crank/sprocket? I spoke to those in the know on Bowden's my bike is likely one of the prototypes. Here's a few photos of the inside of the Bowden including the 1x2"? piece of wood, more pictures here on the CABE when I scoped the bike, it was an interesting experience.

Mike

E3B58D07-A1F2-41DF-8ACA-2B58ED800B20.jpeg

1C5FA790-CE42-491E-8A8F-1BE352F7499F.jpeg

780A4E9C-C963-4371-990C-663EC2353851.jpeg

30F7F66A-E54F-44DE-90E5-C9F72BEBBD15.jpeg

Last edited:
This one is likely a repro, originals were cast in the color (gelcoat) but this one looks to be painted. Original c1960 models do not have any metal frame inside except the forks.

Where you at, @bikebozo? This topic has been covered many times... there are several "tells" for an orig. vs. a repro. The horn button alone is often a give away, but I don't see any detail shots here. An orig. cast in the color Spacelander with correct pedals, Mertens seat, Zephyr Flyte tires, grips, and orig. rack, not a repro, etc. might fetch close to this price, but if it's a repro, they seem to sell for about $3-4K.

Caveat emptor: buyer beware on this one, especially for fifteen large, and cash only no less!
Well put Justin.

Back