When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden Spacelander............Can we talk?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If I handed the book about bicycles to anyone one the street, I could guarantee which pages they would stop to look at.
The Bowden Spacelander would be one of them.
Like it or not, it definitely gets your attention.
Usually followed by an audible, WTF!

I think they're pretty cool looking. My mom had a picture of her riding one in the 60's at a world's fair or something. Wish I could find the pic, but...

I just think it's cool that someone made something totally different than a schwinn canti at that time.

And I think schwinn got jealous, based on this concept bike that looks like a diner on wheels:

View attachment 363647
Someone need to build this Schwinn...... Rat Rod Build off...hint, hint....

You can do a quick Google search and learn about Ben Bowden and the bicycles. Personally I don't care for the Bowdens for a few reasons; 1. its a middleweight, 2. they are fragile and tend to break 3. just dorky looking to me. Ok so not my cup of tea but this would be a good topic for a short article and there is enough on the web to put something together--and I nominate you, Al, to carry the Bowden torch! V/r Shawn
I've read up on Ben and the bikes, purpose of the post was to get members opinions, seems mostly negative. Still curious to see if anyone here actually owns one, and if they like it very much. As to me writing an article, thanks for the nomination Shawn. Maybe someday if/when I retire and have more time!

I have a good friend that has one and to my knowledge he has never ridden it. It just sits in his basement. I looked the bike over pretty close and frankly just wasn't impressed with the construction of the thing. I know there are some that think this is the coolest thing on two wheels. I'm just not in that camp. V/r Shawn

I've never seen one in real life, only pictures. And I DO like them, so I'll count myself in as part of the minority. Part of what appeals to me about bikes in general is the unusual and rare. Same with cars. I'll walk right past a 57 Chevy or 65 Mustang to look at a DeSoto, Edsel, or Hudson. Looks aren't everything, so I can understand that the construction and quality of the Spacelander may leave a lot to be desired. I give Ben Bowden a lot of credit. To design the Spacelander must have taken a lot of guts, especially considering it was 1946. Nearly all of these never make it past the drawing stage. In 1946, it must have been off the charts. In 1960, it was still too much. But then again, we were supposed to have flying cars in 1960, and that didn't happen either. I'll consider the Spacelander to be to bicycles what the Tucker was to cars: Too much too soon and too shaky! But rare as hell, and certainly mot every ones cup of tea.

I was 7 when that bike was produced and I can tell you that I wouldn't have given that thing a second look, after I puked. It would have taken a special type person that's impervious to stick beatings or thrown rocks to buy/ride one of those. But hey, there were thousands of Americans that spent their hard earned money on a Yugo when they hit American soil.

Back