When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden Spacelander............Can we talk?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
They are more than just a bike! They are a movement, a risk, a vision.
This bike is the definition of which we all need to do more. Make your vision and dreams a reality.

I love to read and learn about a whole lot of useless info lol!
I read the Harry Miller book and was floored by his dreams and visions. He built so many engines and cars that failed and he kept on truckin until he started winning races and broke speed records.

Mr. Bowden designed a cool looking bike that was way before its time and most people werent ready for this. Back in those days it was all ab out utilitarian vehicles, bikes that could get you somewhere with no hassle, or bikes that can hold a lot of groceries like a cycle truck. Im sure if he continued designing and perfecting his dream it would be perfected.

So like Marty McFly said on back to the future, maybe you guys arent ready for RockN Roll!

This one is for 37Fleetwood. I give you kudos for even attempting to design your own line of bicycles. Now you will get to see and experience the process of R and D just like Mr. Bowden did. I went through the same thing. Trial and error when designing all my bicycle accessories. Tons of money and time my brother, money and time!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your posts!
Reading them has been very educational and entertaining. I've concluded that the Spacelander is one of those "love them or hate them" bikes, and love came in a distant 2nd place! I'm one of the minority that is fond of the bike. I've also concluded that if the Spacelander was a ballooner, it's popularity might be a lot stronger, which tells me that sometimes tire size is more of a factor in collecting than style is. I don't find that to be strange, every collector has criteria to base his collection on, and most don't make exceptions to their "rules". I wonder if anyone has attempted to put together a "registry" of original Spacelanders. And I wonder how many of the 522 made in 1960 are accounted for. Seems that Bicycle Heaven in PA might be the king of Spacelanders in terms of bikes owned, and also for parts availability. Maybe I'll visit them next year on vacation and check them out. All in all, I'm glad I made this post. Keep the responses coming!

I have a seven year old daughter. I often ask her questions about aesthetics or her interpretations of colors and other things I want unbiased or un jaded opinions on, simple things. I get the straight honest answers that only a kid can give. I'm careful to not voice my opinion before she does. I asked her what she thought of the Bowden, she said it looked like a clown bike.

I love the Bowden Spacelander for the very same reasons many of you seem to hate it... it's fragile, impractical, and broke easily. The design was was so over-the-top kids wholeheartedly rejected it, and thought it was ugly. It was also reportedly more expensive than Schwinn's best offering, the Phantom, at $89.50.

I like it because it has transcended it's original intention as a bicycle, and has become art. That's right, I said it. Go ahead, get your torches and pitch forks... warm up the tar, and break open the bag of feathers. Personally, I love the reaction it gets. I like when people see my Higgins or Autocycle and say "what a neat old bike", but I LOVE it when people see the Bowden and say "what the HELL is that??!" They want to know all about it. Like good art, it makes you react.... positively, or negatively, there is an emotional reaction. When Picasso went to his abstract style from his early naturalistic style, many people hated it, and didn't get it at all. But with the passage of time, it has not only been accepted, but celebrated as genius. It is often said he was way ahead of his time... like old Ben Bowden, he was ahead of his time too.

The Spacelander may have been ugly, rejected, unpopular and almost an instant failure in 1960 when it came out, but 56 years later it represents a small glimpse into an era of design innovation that likely inspired many other things to come. Without design failures like the Spacelander, you would not have the successes... every design simply cannot be a winner; that contrast is what pushes things forward.

I can totally imagine riding down the block at dusk with dual, built-in head lights and tail lights glowing, looking like an alien spaceship floating along.... nothing like it. In reality, I have never ridden it, nor do I ever plan to, I have many other bikes I can ride; this one is strictly to look at. I'd probably bust this one on the first pedal with my fat arse if I tried to ride it... precisely why so few exist today.

Mine is an original in Cliffs of Dover white, which is cast in the fiberglass, not painted. It's a very low serial number (number 8 off the assembly line), possibly the lowest known. At the moment it's at my shop with several other very well known, and desirable vintage bicycles, but everyone, whether they know vintage bikes or not, goes straight for the Bowden when they see the group, flat out ignoring my Hextube Silver King, my Elgin Robin, my orig. paint JC Higgins batwing Color-flow, and Autocycle.

Since these photos, the seat has been changed out for the correct, original, Mertens saddle. All else is correct & original, including the Carlisle Airflyte tires.

The number of existing, original Spacelanders is said to be quite low, possibly under 50. It is said 522 were produced originally, but many broke or were otherwise destroyed. They have sold privately from $4K up to $20K (one sold at the Schwinn family auction in 2003 for that price). The few I have tracked prices of seem to be in the $12 to $15K range for a complete, correct, and damage free example.

Reproductions do exist, and tend to sell for $2500-$4K. They lack certain refinements of the originals, but are still quite cool, and pretty faithful representations.

Unusual, interesting, and avant garde the Spacelander speaks to a very narrow time in history when designers were pushing the envelope, and trying to show what the future could hold. Love it or hate it, the Bowden Spacelander illicits strong reactions, and that is what makes it iconic, and why it's so valuable.

Thank you Balloonatic, that was an excellent and detailed description of how to look at design.
Everyone here could learn something from your post in how to subjectively look at a bicycle design from a new perspective and use intelligent discourse.

I am not a big fan of the Spacelander but do appreciate it for what it represents, a brilliant fresh use of materials and aesthetics even if poorly executed.

regards,
sarmis luters
redondo beach, ca

Thank you Balloonatic, that was an excellent and detailed description of how to look at design.
Everyone here could learn something from your post in how to subjectively look at a bicycle design from a new perspective and use intelligent discourse.

I am not a big fan of the Spacelander but do appreciate it for what it represents, a brilliant fresh use of materials and aesthetics even if poorly executed.

regards,
sarmis luters
redondo beach, ca
And now I wonder if Ben Bowden chose fiberglass first or design first.
If his design was made of steel, the bike would probably weigh over 100 pounds, rendering it useless as a bicycle.
OR, did the choice of fiberglass come first, thus allowing for the bikes proportions and extreme design?

Back