When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden Spacelander............Can we talk?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Super interesting read!
Been thinking lately about how easy it is to roll out the negative,
it's like a new national pastime ;)
Whatever floats your boat on that score too...personally, I prefer to listen to and
interact with people who are passionate and informed, openminded and curious about
the world.
Bikes are the easy part :)

If anyone has either a one of a kind custom made Bowden Spacelander or a reproduction please contact me with a price. I live in California.

Thanks,
Phil

2ff952da5abf1bb22e813f09adbc0bf1.jpg

Hi Phil,
I collect and restore pre-1900 bicycles. My favorites are the dinosaurs- the ones that went extinct. They usually have fascinating designs with some serious flaws. The Bowden Spacelander is a classic example of a dinosaur. It is one of two post-1905 bikes that I have in the collection. I could not resist the image of Pee Wee Herman riding along Sunset Blvd on a Spacelander. It is a true classic.

Hello,

...Mine is an original in Cliffs of Dover white, which is cast in the fiberglass, not painted. It's a very low serial number (number 8 off the assembly line), ...

I have a very specific question for you as you seem to have one ( or any other member Cabe that could answer me )
I heard that the Spacelander has an inside structure made out of metal (steel or aluminium?) i would like to ask:
Have you ever opened the inside of the frame or have a picture of this supposed structure?

Thank you.
A.

I think they're pretty cool looking. My mom had a picture of her riding one in the 60's at a world's fair or something. Wish I could find the pic, but...

I just think it's cool that someone made something totally different than a schwinn canti at that time.

And I think schwinn got jealous, based on this concept bike that looks like a diner on wheels:

View attachment 363647
I've seen this design before and think it's far, a better looking bike than a Spacelander. Barry

@mudagoye, the original 1960 Spacelanders do not have a metal structure or subframe inside, at least mine doesn't. The only metal structures lurking beneath the fiberglass are the forks, (common, off the shelf metal forks) and the head tube captured inside the two piece frame. It's another reason so few original, '60 Spacelanders survive, the frames often cracked when ridden or heavy weight put on them. You could ride three kids on a canti Schwinn of the era, but the Bowden barely carried one, full size adolescent.

I have not scrutinized the reproduction Spacelanders, but I have been told they do have metal structure under the fiberglass, but to my knowledge/experience the original bikes do not, except the aforementioned front forks. There are, of course metal plates on the back axles outside the fiberglass to secure and adjust the rear wheel, but no metal in the rear chain stays, seat tube, or main bars.

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. I'm building a coffee house/cafe in Los Angeles and my Spacelander will be displayed on the wall, if you're local or find yourself in town early in 2019, you will be able to come scrutinize it in person while having a great cup of coffee. ;o)

Balloonatic O-O

Thank you @Balloonatic i heard from an another french American classic bicycle lover (might known here? @zazvonschwinn) that there were an internal structure. Now that i have your point of view as an original bowden owner i can be sure what is in this marvel's shell.
I keep in mind your invitation i like very much the idea to travel to the other side of the world to have a cup of cofee and to talk about bicycles, you are more then welcome as well for a drink at my workshop if you pass by Paris. :)

Merci beaucoup! I may just come see you one day, I haven't been to Paris in a long time. Lovely city!

I meant to add that I don't think there is even metal in the bottom bracket save for a tube to hold the crank. The kick stand is bolted right into the fiberglass, and they are often torn out or stripped loose at best. I will be seeing my Bowden soon, it's been in storage waiting for my cafe to be built. I'll see if I can get some photos for you of inside the frame.

Your other bike lover may have seen the reproduction Spacelander which I believe does indeed have a metal substructure, so that may be the issue.

When my cafe is open I will announce it here on the CABE, we're going to have regular vintage bike meet ups, rides and shows out front. Be sure to let us know whenever you get to Los Angeles, we'd love to see you.

Balloonatic O-O

Have really tried to enjoy that Bowden, but ....

Have really tried to understand that Bowden, but ....
Have had better luck understanding the book, Dianetics ...
authored by L. Ron Hubbard.

Now, I didn't say I understood that book -- just more
luck in understanding that .. than that plastic bicycle ..
chock full of holes ... and I really don't get it.

O.K. ... it was a wonderful design exercise ... but that
bicycle causes me to lift numerous mental weights.

How about you lift 'em for a moment ...... ?

..... patric

33e781deed058639fd440f46ef54019f 02.jpg

Last edited:
Back