When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden Spacelander

-

omwmike

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am thinking of selling my Bowden Spacelander, I'm looking for some information. I was told it is an original 1960, but I am not sure how to tell the difference, I don't want to misrepresent the bike. Please let me know what you think, and how much I should ask for it. It is in excellent shape with no scratches or cracks. Thanks, Mike, 503-310-870 eight, or, [email protected]

bowden1.jpg

bowden2.jpg

bowden3.jpg

bowden4.jpg

bowden5.jpg

bowden6.jpg

bowden7.jpg

bowden8.jpg

bowden9.jpg

bowden10.jpg

Reproduction recently sold by a cabe member for under 5,000, search Bowden on the cabe ,also you can see the difference , a repro is shiny and slick,. The red button for the horn ? Get in touch with Mike Kaplan and he can tell you about it , I sold him an original green body ,that he used as the mold for the re-issue. I got a white reproduction from Mike , to give to Mary Bowden , it was part of the deal , when they started reproducing them

Last edited:
I am thinking of selling my Bowden Spacelander, I'm looking for some information. I was told it is an original 1960, but I am not sure how to tell the difference, I don't want to misrepresent the bike. Please let me know what you think, and how much I should ask for it. It is in excellent shape with no scratches or cracks. Thanks, Mike, 503-310-870 eight, or, [email protected]

View attachment 1038049

If you are truly looking for information regarding the authenticity of your Bowden, I am very sure you have the incorrect seat. The seat should look more like the below photo for an "Original Bowden" to be correct:

decobicycle.jpg

This is most definitely one of the Bowdens that we made after 1987, Three giveaways....the trim in the middle circle.(originals never had that) The seat (we sent out persons majestic leather seats and had them recovered in two tone leather) The rest of the trim is mylar door edge guard that we had made to the size of original Bowden trim but it is NOT stainless steel as on the original. Additional ways to tell are the kickstand. The pedals (we used Persons Supreme pedals). Of course "these" parts can be swapped out.A Surefire way to tell is to pull out the front headlight that holds two batteries. The horn will be different (larger) than the original. The wiring harness will look considerably newer than what you would find on a 59-60 original. When we wholesaled them to Memory Lane late 80's early 90's for resale, the retail was $4000 and the wholesale was $2500-3400 depending on quantity purchased. I am quite certain that the bike at hand is NOT original and $10K as a starting point would be way out of line. Mike Kaplan

If you are truly looking for information regarding the authenticity of your Bowden, I am very sure you have the incorrect seat. The seat should look more like the below photo for an "Original Bowden" to be correct:

View attachment 1043311

This is most definitely one of the Bowdens that we made after 1987, Three giveaways....the trim in the middle circle.(originals never had that) The seat (we sent out persons majestic leather seats and had them recovered in two tone leather) The rest of the trim is mylar door edge guard that we had made to the size of original Bowden trim but it is NOT stainless steel as on the original. Additional ways to tell are the kickstand. The pedals (we used Persons Supreme pedals). Of course "these" parts can be swapped out.A Surefire way to tell is to pull out the front headlight that holds two batteries. The horn will be different (larger) than the original. The wiring harness will look considerably newer than what you would find on a 59-60 original. When we wholesaled them to Memory Lane late 80's early 90's for resale, the retail was $4000 and the wholesale was $2500-3400 depending on quantity purchased. I am quite certain that the bike at hand is NOT original and $10K as a starting point would be way out of line. Mike Kaplan

3spacelanders2.jpg

From what i see its a repop,,,,,90% certain but still worth a lot ,,one giveaway is the red plastic horn button is what was used on the repop bike,,,the orig bike used a delta steel made much larger horn botton and the frame hole itself would be much larger

@omwmike you heard it from 2 people who would know best, Craig Morrow and Michael Kaplan, reproduction!

I think the sprocket is reproduction as well it lacks the oblong beveled holes as seen on the originals.

An original was listed yesterday for $6,000, (not sure of sales price) and is now a pending sale, should help you figure out a price if you decide to list the bike.

I like Bowens, GLWTS.

Mike

Back