When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy’s 20” prewar Colson?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Definitely Cleveland Welding built, not Colson. Sprocket is correct for the 20" bikes. I'm thinking prewar (around 40 or so off the top of my head) Can you confirm there are no symbols to the right of the serial number (like Cw)

These are pretty cool 20" bikes! I bought mine off of eBay in 2013 and had a project in mind when I did the buy. I have a 26" doublebar roadster, and wanted to make a smaller version of the off-road ride with it. I paid too much for it, and also for the shipping. This bike was packed in two boxes, one of which was large enough to put three or four of these in, and the second was a joke as well due to the size and contents. The previous owner had already turned the bike into something odd, so that made my plan a little less like I was killing an original old bike.
Before (from the ad:(
41 Colson.jpg

S-N.jpg

Once it got here, I stripped it down and started the direction of the end result. Found a few pieces here and there, got some help on the approximate year of it here on the CABE as well as being told it was most likely a Colson, and proceeded to build the first of two Pre-B-MX bikes I ended up with.
Here is where that went:
06 41 Colson 20 BMX.JPG

I still need to put a bend in the seat post in order to move the seat slightly forward, but the bike is as solid as a rock!
Good luck with yours and whatever your goal with it may be. I had not seen any other ones prior to finding the one I had on eBay. I've now seen several of them since this one was finished.

REC
PS: The second of the two was a CWC curved bar frame. They have a lot of similar parts in the building up process.
#2:
07 CWC 20 BMX.JPG

Last edited:
These are pretty cool 20" bikes! I bought mine off of eBay in 2013 and had a project in mind when I did the buy. I have a 26" doublebar roadster, and wanted to make a smaller version of the off-road ride with it. I paid too much for it, and also for the shipping. This bike was packed in two boxes, one of which was large enough to put three or four of these in, and the second was a joke as well due to the size and contents. The previous owner had already turned the bike into something odd, so that made my plan a little less like I was killing an original old bike.

Cool builds! Both are Cleveland Welding. The maroon one is a 1941. White is postwar.

Cool builds! Both are Cleveland Welding. The maroon one is a 1941. White is postwar.

The white bike was identified as a '47. It has the Cw on the bottom bracket housing. The red one did not have that marking, only the serial number was stamped there.
REC

I'm reckoning 1940, CWC built by the clamp and headset. The serial font is a factor as well.
I'm happy to see more of these as I have one that's all original outside paint and saddle.

Still has the ZigZag Silent Safety tires on the New Dep. Model D rear and Model W front.
Flat front forks and a nice elegant stem.

This bike is absolutely a rider as it sits, Holding Air and very comfortable for the right rider.

Missing fenders.

Anyone interested?
1541612595342247307818.jpg

Back