When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake and shifter cable question

-
Yes I believe those will work fine. You need to determine which type of cable end you need, barrel or mushroom, and cut off the other one. I think these universal sets are available in colors other than black also.

Thanks Gordon. I’ll give them a try then. The prices the bike shops have are pretty steep. I know they have an overhead but even at $108 it’s still steep.

Will these fit my 1973 Schwinn Continental? One bike shop wants $200 and another $108 to change the cables which I think is WAY overpriced.

I sell Jagwire brand brake and gear cables at our shop and I also have a good supply of vintage cables although the quality is just above marginal (probably like the Amazon product you show).

The standard Jagwire cables are $6.95 each for cable and housing and I charge $15 -$20 to install each cable and adjust the associated component. The Jagwire branding on the housing can be removed with acetone prior to installation if needed. I would probably charge you around $60/75 labor total plus parts so about $120 for the work you mentioned. Most anytime I touch a bike my price includes lubing all pivot points, chain, lubing and tightening binder bolts and pedals, and the paint gets a good wipedown.

"Right and tight" when it leaves the shop is my motto...I try and make sure each customer feels like I went the extra mile mile on their bike in some fashion. Keep in mind I am in a small town shop in NC and if you are in a metro area you will usually pay more and wait longer.

I usually cap the labor on a standard tune-up depending on the bike at hand and whether rubber is going on it, etc. Usually on these vintage bikes the wheels must be trued, derailleurs tweaked back into place, calipers tightened and aligned, etc. Rarely is it a straight forward cable replacement. Any work quoted is an estimate and not a bid...your results may vary.:cool:

The amazon stuff is junk,no better than big box store junk. You can find NOS Schwinn cables for that bike on ebay or maybe a member here? I found a site listing the part numbers for the cables I needed for my Sports Tourer. Perform a search,you'll find them

Changing cables is a very simple job.If you have to,take pictures how the old cables are routed and connected with your phone. Cables vary in prices but even cheaper big box store cables will work if you are on as budget. I would try to get better cables if possible....

Changing cables is a very simple job.If you have to,take pictures how the old cables are routed and connected with your phone. Cables vary in prices but even cheaper big box store cables will work if you are on as budget. I would try to get better cables if possible....

Yep absolutely. The phone camera comes in very handy.

I Agree Vince, cables are fairly easy and make great father son/daughter activities and makes you feel good that you did something for yourself using your own two hands!! Go for it!!!

Back