When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brass Brush

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Muji

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everyone. If my memory serves me (I couldn’t find the post) that it is imperative that a brass brush, for cleaning chrome, be 100% brass as opposed to brass coated steel. I went today to buy a brass bench grinder wheel to find it is brass coated. I am now searching the internet and all the options are brass coated; I am not finding a brass wheel. I’m new at this and maybe I don’t have my information straight and/or am looking in the wrong place. All guidance will be greatly appreciated. Muji

Hello everyone. If my memory serves me (I couldn’t find the post) that it is imperative that a brass brush, for cleaning chrome, be 100% brass as opposed to brass coated steel. I went today to buy a brass bench grinder wheel to find it is brass coated. I am now searching the internet and all the options are brass coated; I am not finding a brass wheel. I’m new at this and maybe I don’t have my information straight and/or am looking in the wrong place. All guidance will be greatly appreciated. Muji
I think your concern is justified about the steel scratching the chrome surface. BUT solid brass is very soft. I think if truth be known most brass wire brushes are really "just coated" with brass. Anything spinning at 4000 RPM is pretty aggressive on chrome. Much safer to sneak up on your cleaning by beginning with cleaners/tools that are "too soft to work". Then keep moving up on the grit.

I think you would be best guided to a less aggressive abrasive. 3M makes their scotch bright pads. The red and green colors are pretty aggressive, but the white color is not aggressive, it won't even scratch glass. They sell the "white grit" in pads and also roloc disc's.

John

Last edited:
@Hoagie57 is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to bench grinder wheels. Maybe he can be of some help

I think your concern is justified about the steel scratching the chrome surface. BUT solid brass is very soft. I think if truth be known most brass wire brushes are really "just coated" with brass. Anything spinning at 4000 RPM is pretty aggressive on chrome. Much safer to sneak up on your cleaning by beginning with cleaners/tools that are "too soft to work". Then keep moving up on the grit.

I think you would be best guided to a less aggressive abrasive. 3M makes their scotch bright pads. The red and green colors are pretty aggressive, but the white color is not aggressive, it won't even scratch glass. They sell the "white grit" in pads and also roloc disc's.

John
|Hi John. I appreciate the reply. And I like your suggestion about approaching from the least and then graduate. One thing that is discouraging is learning through error; I hate to damage things——so I am inclined to ask first. This venue is great with many knowledgeable and generous people. I am grateful for your reply. Muji

At the risk of getting this thread further off topic, here's one more thought to consider.

When cleaning parts, or any "soft surface" like paint, or upholstery, consider that not all dirt and grunge is the same and will require different approaches.

You might choose a Petro solvent to clean your greasy parts, but if there's sugary Coke or Coffee deposit on the hub or rim the solvent won't come close to dissolving it.

One of my favorites is sold at the 99-cent store. Awesome Cleaner. It's a citrus based concentrated cleaner. It will not work at full concentration; it requires some water added. I like to have four or five clear spray bottles with different concentrations (easy with darker colors in a clear bottle). Nontoxic, Non-Flammable. It can be mixed strong for greasy engine clean up, all the way down to glass cleaner. Best part, ITS CHEAP.

There's no one single best way to clean, it requires a variety of cleaners and methods.

John

One of my favorites is sold at the 99-cent store. Awesome Cleaner. It's a citrus based concentrated cleaner. It will not work at full concentration; it requires some water added. I like to have four or five clear spray bottles with different concentrations (easy with darker colors in a clear bottle). Nontoxic, Non-Flammable. It can be mixed strong for greasy engine clean up, all the way down to glass cleaner. Best part, ITS CHEAP.

There's no one single best way to clean, it requires a variety of cleaners and methods.

John
I forgot I had some of this. I understand it works to remove crappy over-paints and I heard about it from a friend that soaks grimey engine blocks in it....
May have to try it diluted in the Ultrasonic Cleaner. Would be nice if the Citrus based cleaner worked harder at removing rust, as the diluted Simple Green heated to 38C in the Ultrasonic Cleaner tends to eat light brown rust already.

I forgot I had some of this. I understand it works to remove crappy over-paints and I heard about it from a friend that soaks grimey engine blocks in it....
May have to try it diluted in the Ultrasonic Cleaner. Would be nice if the Citrus based cleaner worked harder at removing rust, as the diluted Simple Green heated to 38C in the Ultrasonic Cleaner tends to eat light brown rust already.
Citrus based cleaners are great, but you have to be carefull when cleaning any aluminum or anodized parts. The citrus cleaner will eat the soft surfaces. It's like leaving a carburetor in the cleaner "too long", not a good result. Just watch the exposure time.

John

Back