When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Braze repair

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Benryannj

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm currently restoring a 1930's Colson rear steer tandem and this one is fighting me all the way.. It's in pretty bad shape and I've been slowly working on it, but the front of the frame was bent from a crash and in the process of straightening one of the braze joints has cracked.

Does anyone have any advice on how to repair this type of frame damage? I've done some MIG welding the past but never brazing so I'm not sure how big a job this would be or whether I should try and find someone close by (I'm in North New Jersey), that could help.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help!

Ben

IMG_2809 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently restoring a 1930's Colson rear steer tandem and this one is fighting me all the way.. It's in pretty bad shape and I've been slowly working on it, but the front of the frame was bent from a crash and in the process of straightening one of the braze joints has cracked.

Does anyone have any advice on how to repair this type of frame damage? I've done some MIG welding the past but never brazing so I'm not sure how big a job this would be or whether I should try and find someone close by (I'm in North New Jersey), that could help.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help!

Ben

View attachment 1199203
That would be easy to repair by Brazing....

It was brazed originally. Once there is brass on the surface ( including the ends of tubing) it is very difficult to weld. You would have to remove all metal the brass that was fused to and then the joint would be too large. Take it to a GOOD welder and he can prep and re-braze correctly. Money well spent if you do not have that type of experience

It was brazed originally. Once there is brass on the surface ( including the ends of tubing) it is very difficult to weld. You would have to remove all metal the brass that was fused to and then the joint would be too large. Take it to a GOOD welder and he can prep and re-braze correctly. Money well spent if you do not have that type of experience

Yep, this is likely the way I’ll go... just need to find someone that can do it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brazing is very easy to do.
Go to YouTube and learn how to braze.
I use 54% silver solder. In a dark room, use an ultraviolet light, to see the extent of the crack.

I'm tempted to give it a go with one of the Bernzomatix torches... given the original brazes were brass, should I try and repair with brass brazing or would silver solder be ok?

My 36 roadmaster had a separation at one brace joint so I took it my old time radiator shop. He redid bad joint in regular brass then he said he ran out of rod and did the bottom joint at bracket in silver rod . Wasn't cheap but that's all I could do.

Have you ever soldered anything? Two things in common with both...CLEAN!
Easy fix if you have equipment. Simply clean old mess off carefully, grinder, file, etc. Then wire wheel that area. You want nice, clean shiny metal. You want frame clamped so it's perpendicular...an upside down "T". Oxy/acetylene small tip, adjusted flame properly, you'll see when adding oxygen proper clean flame.
(Practice on something similar first)!
You want both tubes heated just enough to start flow, flux coated brazing rods. Once flowing keep it moving all around.
Most important...1) CLEAN 2) JUST enough heat
When tubing JUST barely starts red, melt brass into it and move flame around.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Back