When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Braze repair

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Silver solder is not as strong as brass (brazing). Brass is not as strong as welding. Committed to brazing since that it how it was originally constructed. The steel tubing is "contaminated" with brass. The photos of the needed repair show this is a top tube to seat post tube connection. Very structural area of the frame and it's a tandem also! Silver solder is more for trim or more detailed work and is not designed for this amount of stress. This repair demands as much strength as possible!

Last edited:
I wouldn't solder anything except wires! Brazing is ok and pretty strong. If you've never done it, practice on scrap or better yet a cheap worthless bike. Then test the strength. I made a tall circus bike years ago with tubing, a bender and brazed every joint. It was fine. It has to be clean though.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Silver brazing and silver solder are two different processes and materials. The Harris material posted above has a melting temperature of approx. 1255-1305 F, with a tensile strength of approx. 40,000-50,000 psi. Cleanliness and joint design are important. The short attached article can help in your choice of materials and processes. Enjoy

Have it done correctly. I took this Elgin to a friend of mine who owns an automotive restoration business.

IMG_20190213_111701596.jpg

20200526_135654.jpg

Kansas City, Kansas.
I'd bet that anyone who does auto restorations can braze. Look for someone in your area who has the four year auto restoration degree from McPherson College, McPherson, Kansas. One of Jay Leno's go-to places; he's a big contributor and supporter. Google it.

Super simple to braze, or solder, specially if you have any welding experience at all,
A good stainless brush set is key, various sizes and used only for final cleaning,, and make sure it's clean, I use acetone and tack cloth for delicate pieces,
When in doubt practice, good skill to have☺
Or option 2 Radiator recore shop, one specializing in tank repairs and or custom rads , race shop etc.

Back