When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing back the red

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1817cent

Riding my 41 Super Deluxe Autocycle
Have any of you Cabers found a way to treat red and unrusted surfaces of fenders to bring, or help bring, the red back from the current orange? The bike was originally red but has aged to an orange because of age and oxidation. Many thanks for any tips! Jay

Have any of you Cabers found a way to treat red and unrusted surfaces of fenders to bring, or help bring, the red back from the current orange? The bike was originally red but has aged to an orange because of age and oxidation. Many thanks for any tips! Jay
What year is the bike? Did you try WD and 0000 steel wool ? I have had some luck with automotive polishing compound and a good waxing.

A1216_CleanerWax_10x10.png

Automotive rubbing compound or Brasso can work- some kind of relatively mild abrasive. As always, test on an inconspicuous spot first.

Its mostly the brighter red, like a Phantom.
The paint in the above picture most likely used the red iron oxide as a colorant/pigment and it can be polished out with decent results. The bright red on my 53 Black Phantom has turned colors, red to orangish red and most times that can't be reversed to any great extent. It all depends on what pigmentation was used in the paint. The above was done with Mequiar's fine cut cleaner but I prefer Turtle Wax's liquid Rubbing Compound. I also use that for cleaning up clear polycarbonate.

Back