When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing them back to life

-

bushb2004

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here are two old Schwinn's that I am bring back to life, the men's bike is a 1959 and the woman's is a 1961. The 59 was in rough shape with a lot of non Schwinn parts like wheels, goose neck, handle bars, grips, seat, crank, pedals and some re-pop parts. Latest picture is of the 1959 back from the stripper with some of the "new" parts installed. I will be painting and decaling it in a 1959 Phantom scheme . The 61 will remain original and going through a through cleaning and polish. Comments welcome. Thanks.
IMG_20130816_154358_659.jpg
IMG_20130722_184136_633.jpg
IMG_20130719_180246_221.jpg

welcome!

nice job on these.most of us here love getting old bikes out of the sticks and back on the street where they belong.to me there is nothing more satisfying.keep up the good work.:D

Thanks, its been a learning experience. many many years since I've done anything with bicycles, but so far it has been fun. I'm looking forward to riding it, thinking in a couple more weeks the 59 will be ready.

Thanks again

US bikes with cantilever frames from the 50's and 60's are very rare where I live. I know of two who were imported, but non of them were brought back to near original state. Were they mostly for kids and youngster or did grown-ups use them too?

It's always good to hear when someone gets bit by the bike hobby. Lots of fun and most items needed are reasonably priced.

Well its been a while since my last post, been real busy with other things in life ( work, family and house ) and haven't devoted any time to the 59. That's changing now, did some sanding and smoothing on the frame, have all the paint materials and decals. Picked up a 50's ( non locking ) springer assembly that I'm going to use because I'm not to confident in the durability of the springer that came with the bike. If all goes well, should be putting on color starting this week. I'll post pic's of progress.

Thanks and Happy Schwinning:cool:

Back