When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British bicycle history (C.W.S)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1951 C.W.S

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone have any info on the british cooperative wholesale society?
If you have one feel free to post a picture !
Thanks!

Not to hand @piercer_99, currently in Mallorca on holiday.
Try doing an internet search for 'CWS bicycle' and you'll find a link back to another thread here on the Cabe.
Briefly, a membership owned co-operative society, tracing its routes back to Manchester in 1844.
Still trading in the UK, known as "the Co-Op", but no longer selling bicycles.
Made basic, sturdy bicycles. Mainly roadsters and tradesmans/delivery cycles in their thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands, as they made cycles for the post office over here).
Not of any great value or interest over here, but probably unusual on your side of the pond.
Nothing to distinguish them really from most other basic three-speed machines of the 1930's onwards.
My father worked for one branch of their empire in the 1960's and 1970's.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Not to hand @piercer_99, currently in Mallorca on holiday.
Try doing an internet search for 'CWS bicycle' and you'll find a link back to another thread here on the Cabe.
Briefly, a membership owned co-operative society, tracing its routes back to Manchester in 1844.
Still trading in the UK, known as "the Co-Op", but no longer selling bicycles.
Made basic, sturdy bicycles. Mainly roadsters and tradesmans/delivery cycles in their thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands, as they made cycles for the post office over here).
Not of any great value or interest over here, but probably unusual on your side of the pond.
Nothing to distinguish them really from most other basic three-speed machines of the 1930's onwards.
My father worked for one branch of their empire in the 1960's and 1970's.
Hope that helps.
Thank you for this ,it is greatly appreciated
i have a 51 c.w.s and this is the little bit of history i have been able to get on it
Do you have any idea how many left there are?
-Blake

Hi Blake,
As I said earlier, they made many, many bicycles for the Royal Mail 'posties' (postmen/women) back in the day; these models are not uncommon.
If you post a picture(s) of your example, I'll try and see if I can find a catalogue image/info for you when I'm back in England (after Thursday this week). I know the V-CC website has a few CWS catalogues online, but unless you're a member, it is know difficult to access much of the info they hold.
Darren.

Hello again Blake,
Here are some images from the CWS catalogue that may be of help.
Images from the V-CC library.....
20190928_175313.jpg

20190928_175234.jpg

20190928_175140.jpg

20190928_175043.jpg

20190928_175001.jpg

20190928_174859.jpg

Hope they are of help.
Regards,
Darren.

Back