When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken Fork Repair?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Duchess

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Does anyone know a good place to get a fork repaired? Somehow, my 1912 Iver Johnson's fork broke at the headset nut while sitting quietly in storage (I had thought what it does on its own time is its own business, but now it's costing me money, so I've obviously given it too much freedom). Does anyone know if a good place to get it repaired? I don't care if they weld a new partial steering tube at the broken part or braze in a whole new thing as long as it works.

You`ll have to find a replacement donor and take it to a capable welder in your area. He should be able to make short work of it. Exact thread, tube diameter, and overall length must be perfect. That is unless one of the Cabe guys is willing to take it on.
-------Cowboy

I know of a fantastic place here in Michigan, but it could take up to 6 months, pm if you would like additional information.

prety straight forward really. shouldn't take too long.

P2250144_zps26d70918.jpg~original.jpeg

P2250142_zpsorbeu32x.jpg~original.jpeg

P2250147_zpsd82089ac.jpg~original.jpeg

P2250150_zpsf9da06c2.jpg~original.jpeg

P2250152_zps707e8452.jpg~original.jpeg

P2250153_zpsb2e8b9d9.jpg~original.jpeg

P2250154_zps70fb173d.jpg~original.jpeg

P2250144_zps26d70918.jpg~original.jpeg

Thanks, Ed. I'll call around locally first, but I might hit you up if I come up short.

I got the bike out of storage today and took a look at it and now I see that it had been repaired previously with a couple sloppy spots of brass brazing in what I imagine was an old repair (or maybe the fork was originally on a taller bike and it was cut down to fit, though I would think it would be smarter to just cut it shorter and run a thread die over the new end). I'm surprised and glad it didn't break while I was actually riding it.

37 Fleetwood has an excellent idea, however it would also help to have a tight fitting bushing made up to fit on the inside diameter at least 3 or 4 inches long. The location of the cut needs to be taken into account for the length of the handlebar stem. You can also cut off a little of the handlebar stem if you need to. You also need to grind a generous "V" shape at the cut to insure maximum strength of the weld. The bushing will help keep the bearing races top and bottom lined up correctly.

Yeah, it's a good suggestion, but there's not enough length on this to then insert a stem. I suspect that changing out from my casual riding bars to the original track-type bars is what caused the break—the expansion nut may have stressed it right at the brazing maybe one too many times and something probably banged the bars while it was in storage and finally popped it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to make a few calls during the week and, if I can't find anyone, a fellow Caber offered his service to repair it.

Back