When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brought home another saved from becoming scrap, 1950s Swiss Allegro frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gkeep

I live for the CABE
I rescued this from the scrap pile at work last year. Interesting history of Allegros being imported to Southern California starting in 1954 by Jack Kemp to Vilage Cyclery and the bikes success lead to Schwinn using the geometry to develop the Paramount.

From this site, http://www.swissbicycles.com/allegro/mondia-advertisement/.
Jack Kemp was well known in the Western United states bike raing scene. Along with being instrumental in the construction and management of the Encino Velodrome (home of the 1968 Olympic trials) and founder of the famed North Hollywood Wheelman racing club, Kemp was also the owner of Village Cycles – a Schwinn dealership who had had success with importing bicycle products from Europe with Detto Pietro, Clement and Sergal which in his day was a lot harder than it seemed due to the large body of water that lie between the two known as the Atlantic. Kemp’s first introduction to Allegro was from a Swiss gentleman by the name of Hans Kuhn in the summer of 1953. After negotiation, a deal was struck and in 1954 Jack Kemp became the exclusive importer of Allegro bicycles to America.

kempstore_022.gif

The Kemp Bike Shop
Jack, along with his son Bobby soon began selling Allegro’s from both their retail store in Los Angeles and to dealerships across the Western US. To improve delivery, in time they would become one of the first importers to begin shipments via Swiss Air, something which was unheard of in that day in the bicycle industry. What was a 60 day, three tier shipping process (via steamer, rail and truck) was cut to only six days at a total cost of only $1.50 per bike. By 1959, Kemp was importing over 600 Allegros a year to the US – a huge quantity by 1950’s standards. Feeling the full impact of Kemp’s success,, Schwinn, in an attempt to reclaim the sales of high-end bikes lost due to this and other European lines, intentionally duplicated Allegro’s geometry on their Paramounts, – down to the double tapered rear strays.

Unfortunately most of the components have been switched out over the years but it should make a nice rider. I just might have some old 27" Weinmann rims and I do have a Campi hub but it's on a sew up rim.

Here is a 1950s catalog.

Attachments

• allegro-1950s-bicycle-leaflet.pdf
    669.2 KB · Views: 73
The main concern being that there is a modern BB installed. Not aware of a modern BB ever being made in Swiss. With any luck, it's not a French crossthreaded in there. With great luck, it's a Velo Orange expanding BB. And with most luck of all, I'm wrong and there are Swiss BBs to be found. There is always a possibility that it was built with other threading. I'd like to find one of those in a scrap pile!

The main concern being that there is a modern BB installed. Not aware of a modern BB ever being made in Swiss. With any luck, it's not a French crossthreaded in there. With great luck, it's a Velo Orange expanding BB. And with most luck of all, I'm wrong and there are Swiss BBs to be found. There is always a possibility that it was built with other threading. I'd like to find one of those in a scrap pile!
I'm fortunate to have neighbors who are road bike aficionados and the husband is a retired machinist, he's my go to guy these days when it comes to thread questions. He's an encyclopedia of thread history.

I'll have to do a little inventory of the components and see what's been done to it over the years. Earlier this year I rescued a 1978 Eisentraut Limited with a tweeted fork and it seems original Campi components and hubs. I hate to think of what's passed through and gone to the scrap metal yard in the last 30 years. At best I might be out an about from my office an hour or two on any given day. Now I'm only on site once a week or less but the good stuff is probably still coming in. Then multiply that to every community in the country and how many people on here post bikes they find left by the sidewalk for trash day. Just crazy and sad...

Finding these old bikes for me is all random chance and lucky timing. Finding the community here has been the best part of the ride.

-----

Shell is Georg Fischer sand cast and is indeed CH thread

happily she is yet in her original livery

-----

Back