When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brown Corvette.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RustyHornet

I live for the CABE
Now that I’ve got your attention...

So we bought our home a couple of years ago, last year sometime one of the neighbors down the street came down to introduce himself since we constantly had old cars sitting in the driveway. Older gentleman named Ron, one of the sweetest most kind men I’ve ever met. He’s getting to the point in his life where he’s cleaning out all his old junk, he would bring me down totes of old car parts, just told me to try to find a use for the stuff, he didn’t want anything in return...

Well last night he noticed all the old bicycles and he brought down an 80’s Schwinn that needs some work, said I could just have it. We were talking for awhile and he said I’ve got another one, much older. Said he thought it said Corvette on it at one time. I told him to bring it down and I may be interested.

He said he wants to sell it, he would give me a deal if I’m interested or he wants me to sell it for him.

It’s a really neat bike, pretty good shape too. But there is a lot not “correct” on it... The serial was stamped March ‘68, which they didn’t make a Corvette then, the neck is a ‘77, the bars are Wald, the Sturmey is ‘55, it’s been painted, pedals, seat...

He’s had it for 30 years he said and has tried to always take good care of it.

My question is... I don’t know what to do with it. It’s had a restoration years ago. Doesn’t look like much is correct. It’s certainly worth more parted out, but I feel it would be a shame to do so. Appears looking through the catalog for ‘68, the frame could have been a Panther 3 or Deluxe Typhoon originally.

It rides really well. Presents well. But what do I do with it? I don’t want to break his heart after all these years...

Now that I’ve got your attention...

So we bought our home a couple of years ago, last year sometime one of the neighbors down the street came down to introduce himself since we constantly had old cars sitting in the driveway. Older gentleman named Ron, one of the sweetest most kind men I’ve ever met. He’s getting to the point in his life where he’s cleaning out all his old junk, he would bring me down totes of old car parts, just told me to try to find a use for the stuff, he didn’t want anything in return...

Well last night he noticed all the old bicycles and he brought down an 80’s Schwinn that needs some work, said I could just have it. We were talking for awhile and he said I’ve got another one, much older. Said he thought it said Corvette on it at one time. I told him to bring it down and I may be interested.

He said he wants to sell it, he would give me a deal if I’m interested or he wants me to sell it for him.

It’s a really neat bike, pretty good shape too. But there is a lot not “correct” on it... The serial was stamped March ‘68, which they didn’t make a Corvette then, the neck is a ‘77, the bars are Wald, the Sturmey is ‘55, it’s been painted, pedals, seat...

He’s had it for 30 years he said and has tried to always take good care of it.

My question is... I don’t know what to do with it. It’s had a restoration years ago. Doesn’t look like much is correct. It’s certainly worth more parted out, but I feel it would be a shame to do so. Appears looking through the catalog for ‘68, the frame could have been a Panther 3 or Deluxe Typhoon originally.

It rides really well. Presents well. But what do I do with it? I don’t want to break his heart after all these years...

View attachment 1415241

View attachment 1415242

View attachment 1415243

View attachment 1415244

View attachment 1415245

View attachment 1415246

View attachment 1415247

View attachment 1415248

View attachment 1415249

View attachment 1415250

View attachment 1415251

View attachment 1415252
Ride it the way it is, still looking good. I like the color

There weren't many three speed middleweights left by 1968, so if it was a three speed originally, that may help to narrow down the possibilities. As for what to do with it, it sounds like the real question is how will your neighbor take it? I'd have a hard time parting it out, but that's just me. It's not like it's a rare original to start with, so for me it would come down to if I needed the money or not.

not sure why you would consider parting out a bike to get more money for a guy who is giving things away. CABE members are not the general bicycle riding public. the general bike riding public might like an old Schwinn and would not care one patooty about what is or is not correct. they might not even care if it had Chinese wheels! every bike but two I had in the 80's were parts bikes built from Schwinn parts and nothing was correct on any of them. my only goals were only Schwinn parts. I still managed to have fun with every one of them.

just pick a fair price for your area and sell it for the guy. that's a nice old bike.

I agree with everyone. I wouldn’t part it out, he sounded like he wanted to get the most he could for it, which in that case would be parting it out. If that’s what he wanted to do, I’m not his guy... I agree that it should stay together, it presents really well, rides great, everything works. Is basically all Schwinn parts. Who gives a rip if it ain’t all correct.

not sure why you would consider parting out a bike to get more money for a guy who is giving things away. CABE members are not the general bicycle riding public. the general bike riding public might like an old Schwinn and would not care one patooty about what is or is not correct. they might not even care if it had Chinese wheels! every bike but two I had in the 80's were parts bikes built from Schwinn parts and nothing was correct on any of them. my only goals were only Schwinn parts. I still managed to have fun with every one of them.

just pick a fair price for your area and sell it for the guy. that's a nice old bike.
I couldn't agree more.

Back