When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BSA 904 ACP rescued from a skip!

-

vintagebicycleman

'Lil Knee Scuffer
20180928_184820.jpg
I recently bought this rather rough c.1945/6 BSA 904 ACP from a guy who found it in a skip in Scotland. I had been looking for one for a while with no luck. BSA Airborne bikes are a bit of a passion of mine as my grandfather was a Royal Marines Commando in the Second World War. I so far had a 1st and 2nd pattern airborne and a Post War Danish version so an ACP was the last adult sized para bike I needed for my collection.
Unfortunatley for me, I overpaid for the bike and then had to get it from Scotland to Kent in England by courier. I plan to leave the paintwork on the bike original for the time being as I don't have the funds to put into a full restoration. I have found some substitute parts and will be doing the usual service items, along with re-building both wheels. I am going to attempt to do this myself having only repaired existing wheels before not built them from scratch.

20181115_142218.jpg

Here she is after light clean and an oily rag over what's left of the paintwork. I have fitted the chainguard from a 1951 BSA ladies bike as it was the same colour and also an old BSA shifter cover I had in my spares box. I have the mudguards from the ladies bike too which I will fit as a temporary until some original guards can be found. When I have all the original Spec parts I will probably look at re-doing the paint and chrome.

Super nice find and recovery. Keep us posted on your progress.
I learn the term "skip" from watching Kim And Aggie as well as " Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners" on BBC. I like educational TV.
skip-loader-gallery01.jpg

Bit of an update guys, ive fitted the mudguards from the '51 BSA ladies and re-built the front wheel. Original hub, good used dunlop rim and new spokes.20181124_125413.jpg

20181124_141813.jpg

Back