When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BSA Airborne Folding Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Flatfender

On Training Wheels
Hello All Together

I own since a few time a BSA Airborne Folding bicycle . And now I want to know in which year the bike was builded. Frame number is R 28704 .

Also I am looking for a front wheel for that bike .

Thank you in advance and best whishes Gero

Hi Gero,

Nice, I have two that I restored some time ago, but then I come from near Birmingham UK, so they were always of local interest to me.

Where did you find yours?

Some years ago there was a guy in Canada collecting Parabike frame numbers on the internet. I sent mine to him then, but I've just looked, and his site seems to have disappeared.

The only help I can give you dating it is from this very basic document which suggests 1943.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BSA-frame-serial-numbers-dating.jpg

You may be interested in this too:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?37998-BSA-Folding-Paratroopers-Bicycle

The bike featured is R28563, a close cousin to yours.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hello Adrian , thanks for your information . Very interesting . I purchase my bike from a saler near Antwerp / Belgium . He bought several civilian bikes and my para bike from a belgian collector in Flandern/ Belgium .

Best Regards Gero

Hello guys,
I have a folding BSA ser # R34496 that i bought from a collectors son in law. No previous history was known. it is very original and pretty good shape but missing a few items, a brake handle/lever and a complete brake, and it has a made in Holland non original seat.
Any leads for parts? I have been looking on line and found the museum in UK, not sure if it is online only or if they have a store?
If there is one in the London area, I would like to visit as I will be there in a couple weeks.
Thanks, Steve

I have a WW2 era BSA folding bike that has been painted two different colors. I believe both colors are original. When the bike is turned upside down there are places where a khaki color can clearly be seen. The bike currently has the army green paint. Would this indicate the bike was originally used in North Africa and then reused for the Normandy invasion?

Hi Craig,

I don't think that it is possible to say that with any certainty.

Frames are often painted with a black undercoat, and then Brown or Green paint, depending on the date of manufacture (and, possibly, what was available).

Does the second layer of paint have any of the original transfers on ? It would be interesting if it did. I suspect, though, that it was repainted as part of standard maintenance, or because a tidy minded RSM decided that all bikes should be the same colour.

Again, it would be nice to see pictures if you have any?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Adrian, There are only traces of the water decal on the head tube on the green paint. I called this khaki color, but I can see now someone else might call it brown. There are places where the green paint has runs in it, so it looks like when it was painted green, it was done very hurriedly.
1491660225757-1468107968.jpg
14916602921191022372250.jpg
149166034053674721082.jpg

Adrian, please excuse me but I need to correct myself. The decal was on the khaki or brown paint. The green was painted over it. I recall now when I got this bike many years ago I carefully chipped off some of the green paint to expose the decal.

Back