When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BSA Airborne Folding Bicycle

-
Hi Craig,

No problem (-:

Thanks for the photos.

I have a little more time to explain,

Yes, I'm sure that both shades of paint were applied during it's service career, and to me add to it's history.

Pre WW2, and into the early years, British vehicles were painted a gloss green, Deep Bronze Green No.24, which didn't work so well under combat condition.

1939-41, they used a Khaki Green No. 3, and a Dark Green No. 4.

From 1941 to 1944, the British then standardised several colours to paint vehicles, and published this as British Standard BS987C (like an ASTM). The BS contained Standard Camoflage Colours. Your bike is painted originally in SCC2. This brown shade is partly because the pigments needed to produce Green were now in very limited supply.

In April 1944, the SCC was changed to SCC15, Olve Drab, to match the US vehicles now being supplied under Lend Lease. This is the second colour on your frame.

The brown shade on BSA's is more uncommon than the green paint, so may very well be that it was repainted to match ther others in the unit. Perhaps for DDay? Sadly we'll never know for sure.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hello guys,
I have a folding BSA ser # R34496 that i bought from a collectors son in law. No previous history was known. it is very original and pretty good shape but missing a few items, a brake handle/lever and a complete brake, and it has a made in Holland non original seat.
Any leads for parts? I have been looking on line and found the museum in UK, not sure if it is online only or if they have a store?
If there is one in the London area, I would like to visit as I will be there in a couple weeks.
Thanks, Steve
Hi Steve, That seat isn't a "Lepper"( made in Holland) is it? The BSA I sold ( barn paint red) many years ago was equipped with one. See PDF attached.

Attachments

• wood rim ccm red goodyears BSA folder.pdf
    977 KB · Views: 211
Hi @Craig Allen

I'm currently collating as many second pattern BSA parabikes as I can find. (see the Military Bikes forum).

We spoke about yours (above). Would it be possible to share the serial number, stamped on a rear dropout? Since your bike was brown to start with (a quite rare colour, as it turns out,), I'm guessing it's somewhere in the low 10,000's, a quite early bike.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back