When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Budget geared rear hub

-
How is the gear selection on those? I have never ridden a bike with one
My opinion on my red band equipped Schwinn middleweight is that low is a little to low, but that’s me. Personally I’m not a fan or internal hubs with planetary reductions as they have a lot of friction and can feel rough. There’s also a learning curve as when you brake it also switches to the opposite gear. So that takes getting use to. But it’s a lot simpler than trying to retro fit a derailleur and hand brakes and all that. It’s generally easier to just buy a bike already equipped with a multi speed freewheel.

Bendix also makes a manual shift version that stays in one gear even if you use the brake. But those have the same issue to me, a pretty rough feel in low gear.

Anyone know if a nexus hub will work with s2 hoop and spokes or is that too much of a mess?

Only thing I don’t like about the sa 3 speed is if the cable breaks or more likely goes out of adjustment the hub just freewheels and you bust your knees from the sudden loss of inertia. The Shimano three speed hub stays in the low gear someone had told me no experience with the Shimano though

The nexus seems like the route to go since it will be new and not need to be serviced or rebuilt in some time. I was thinking a shifter like this too keep the 70’s look

3C624ED9-92D7-44FF-A1BE-B77939F9E947.png

83840C56-7D45-433B-B975-25F28877B2A0.png

Back