When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Budget geared rear hub

-

vince72

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey Cabe.
What would you consider as a good multi speed rear hub? On my todo list is to add a geared rear hub to my 79 spitfire. What are good budget friendly routes to look into? I would like it to also find a shifter that is period correct. Thanks for any help.

Vince

Lots of middleweight Schwinn’s of that era came with Sturmey Archer internal 3 speed hubs. You can find donor Raleigh’s easily, sometimes free on the side of the road. Some rear wheels come with 40 hole rims, so get the right hub to match your rim.

Hey Cabe.
What would you consider as a good multi speed rear hub? On my todo list is to add a geared rear hub to my 79 spitfire. What are good budget friendly routes to look into? I would like it to also find a shifter that is period correct. Thanks for any help.

Vince
Jimbo is right any 36 hole Sturmey Archer will work even if it is off a lightweight. I have heard some not so great things about the coaster brake models but the free wheel type has long track record as a quality hub. They are dated right on the hub if you wanted to look for a '79

I have a chrome (kind of dingy) S7 rim, with the SA 3 speed hub all laced up, that I'd part with. No shifter lever or cable but the internals are free and you can feel the three elements when you move it by hand. Only draw back is that it's dated 1959.

Hi Vince, are you thinking something like the spitfire 5 route? Like rear wheel with 5-speed freewheel and derailleur/shifter setup?

Back