When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building A 1930s Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think you would have a market IF you could lighten the damn things up and offer something for the 6'+ crowd. Build a cool looking streamlined bicycle that comes in at 20 pounds instead of 45 and you'd sell a few. Of course you have to build yourself one first to get the ball rolling. Maybe a few hipsters would want them as well. There's a custom frame builder that did a Motobike style 29er MTB frame a little while back. Retrotec does a cantilever style MTB frame that doesn't look quite proportionate in my opinion, but people buy those (and they're NOT cheap) The major shortcomings of these modern builders are they're missing the proper proportion and line in order to achieve a particular geometry (in most cases, MTB geometry)

pereira-cycles-roaring-29er-1.jpg

3650724980_a393e736c9_b.jpg

see how I did that? looks like one of John's posts. :cool:
but seriously, I'm curious, what do you guys think the reception would be if I got together with a few people and designed a truly vintage bicycle? I'm not talking about a Wal-Mart bike that looks like a Columbia, I'm talking about a hand built streamlined steel framed bike, made here in America. after building the pair of Huffman Super Streamlines, I realized I had a ton of interest in building them. the main issue has been my reluctance to build exact replicas of a very rare and sought after bike.
what if I built something "like" a real Super Streamline? would there be interest?
what if I built bikes that were exactly like the Huffman Super Streamlines? would people be upset?
there would be challenges, sourcing stuff like the fork, wheels and hubs etc, but what about a basic frame set that you'd accessorize yourself? maybe with a few other parts that are already being produced.
they wouldn't be cheap, I can't feature making them here as one offs and being able to bring costs down to "Made in China" levels, and I'd always want them to be made here.
let me know what you think.

I like your enthusiasm.
Good luck! :)

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever posted here and I don't think I've been to this site in a few years, but with my son just starting to ride, a fire has been rekindled in bikes and riding, which naturally includes vintage bikes. I was doing some searching and stumbled upon this post. I thought it might have been a few years old but then I see it is from this month! I was literally throwing this exact idea out to some other bike nerd guys that are local to me (Denver, CO) that are part of a vintage tool group I'm with.

I mean, literally - the idea of replicating a Super Streamline frame with the deco rear stays, but doing it out of modern tubing and hopefully being able to enjoy such a beautifully stylish bike as a daily commuter or more. One of the guys that is on our email list is a machinist by trade with some good bike related knowledge and here is what he had to say in the email chain -

"Get some 8020 extrusion for a jig (Often it can be found used on Craig's) and buy some True Temper brand tubing from Henry James' site (True Temper is going out of business sadly so buy soon) and do some fillet brazed joints like Schwinns had. Stay the F away from Stick welders for 95 percent of welding operations unless you are fixing cast iron, building a bridge or fixing a torpedo hole in a ship.

I have a multitude of bending and rolling dies for 1" and 3/4" tubing. You can also fillet braze stainless tubing too! Bottom brackets and head tubes are excellent lathe projects and rear drop outs are cheap on the Henry James site.

I am willing to guide any bicycle frame building process. A very good friend of mine is the master bike builder at xxxx Bicycles if I need help with any questions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-Frame-Building-Jig/

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/fillet-braze-193529.html

Horizontal mills are god awfully good for mitering bicycle frame tubes."

Now, that all being said, I wish I had more to offer. I don't have a Safety/Super Streamline in my possession, let alone having ever seen one. However, I think you have several, yes? So an excellent first step would be to start blueprinting the frame, taking measurements, collecting angles and drawing up plans. Those can then be adjusted (if need be) but would give a great starting off point.

I think a fundraiser would be a great way to get the project off the ground. I would be up for this!!! Especially if it meant getting in line for a frame! I think $500 is probably a good realistic starting point for a basic, unfinished frame. At that pricepoint, you probably wouldn't be using the highest quality, lightest stuff around and hopefully some decent/passable compromise could get it there.

What a fantastic idea. I've love to help however I could.

Back