When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building A 1930s Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
First off they take 10%
And also are you looking for donations?

Unless it was a joke

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

see how I did that? looks like one of John's posts. :cool:
but seriously, I'm curious, what do you guys think the reception would be if I got together with a few people and designed a truly vintage bicycle? I'm not talking about a Wal-Mart bike that looks like a Columbia, I'm talking about a hand built streamlined steel framed bike, made here in America. after building the pair of Huffman Super Streamlines, I realized I had a ton of interest in building them. the main issue has been my reluctance to build exact replicas of a very rare and sought after bike.
what if I built something "like" a real Super Streamline? would there be interest?
what if I built bikes that were exactly like the Huffman Super Streamlines? would people be upset?
there would be challenges, sourcing stuff like the fork, wheels and hubs etc, but what about a basic frame set that you'd accessorize yourself? maybe with a few other parts that are already being produced.
they wouldn't be cheap, I can't feature making them here as one offs and being able to bring costs down to "Made in China" levels, and I'd always want them to be made here.
let me know what you think.

IMG_7019smx_zpsekcgkqbn.jpg

IMG_7023smx_zpsnoi3oces.jpg

IMG_9582sm_zps1d42ba51.jpg
I simply LOVE your bikes wish I had one

I'm not sure, I suppose it would depend on how much it cost, and how limited the numbers. I'm figuring maybe do 20-50 per run, then change the design. they'd be limited originals. no wild custom stuff, just clean streamlined lines.

50 frames? How long do you think it would take to build a frame? I would guess to do it right it would take the better part of a week to build a frame. Maybe you could cut that number in half if you were really efficient about it but still unless you were doing this full time that's about a years worth of work. If it took you 30 hours I'd estimate you'd need to charge like $2000 a frame to cover your time, tools and materials. Are there 50 people out there willing to pay $2k for a reproduction frame? Seems like about the going rate for a real Huffman streamline foundation. Finding the frame seems like the easy part, its all those precious bits that we all covet and hand over our hard earned money to own. .

Last edited:
I've not seen the going rate for a Super Streamline foundation. The Fleetwood frames are not extremely difficult to find and I've seen them change hands for $1k. When was the last time anyone saw a '37/8 Model 1 or 2 bare frame? Not a Safety or Fleetwood. V/r Shawn

If I didn't have to make money, I'd like to remake old bike frames myself, but I would use modern tubing and components both to set them apart from originals (not interested in tricking people) and to make them bring them up to date and improve them (though there's the question about potentially sacrificing some of the ride quality for lighter weight, I'm sure that can be figured out). I'd also offer them in more modern adult sizes. So, yeah, I like your idea, but making money off it might be tough.

My thinking has been to take some of the inspiration from the past, but to meld it with the technology of the future.
If I could, the bike I would build is the Blackbird.
A full carbon fiber molded bike using the Elgin Bluebird as a template.
Instead of a speedometer in the dash, I would inset an
I-Phone.
The onboard computer would be capable of almost anything.
Even speed control for the optional electric motor if so desired.
I can picture this bike in my mind, and if materialized in reality, it would blow people's mind.
Why go back and build something that's already been done.
I would like to build something that no one has seen before, but pays homage to the beautiful creations of the past.

Back