When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building Beryl...

-

Saving Tempest

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jumping the gun, but I'll get started, frame won't be here until next month.

My starting point is a 1951 Rollfast (balloon tire). Most of the parts will come with the frame, but I do have all summer and into fall if I need to take it.

Beryl denotes a green gemstone, related to emerald and it's green.

Beryl is also Mrs. Patmore's name from Downton Abbey, whom people love to hate but Jade and Emerald/Emmy didn't fit and I like the name.

I have the frame, fork, stem, a nice and fairly shiny version of the chainring that is my avatar, fenders, seat post to come and already have a nice comfortable Troxel seat that is the same model as Tempest's, and I got that for $8 and $10 shipping! Another Saf-T-Horn will be coming as well, as I like that horn a lot and want all of my fleet equipped with them.

When I am done Beryl will be GREEN instead of black...hence the name, and I'll get a real paint job, not a spray can one.

In case you are wondering, I won't stop until a Schwinn DX and Shelby are mine too and in parts is probably the only way unless I find a fairly complete rust special to clean up. The DX was what I was dreaming of when Tempest showed up on eBay for all of $50 (I was happy to find her though, she started this journey for me well over nine years ago).

Oh...and a really big hitchin' post.

It will be interesting to see the build. I also collect mineral specimens and have dabbled in jewelry making so I have to correct the beryl statement. Beryl is a mineral that comes in other colors besides green to include yellow, red, pink, olive green, blue, orange, and clear or white. Trace amounts of chromium are what give emeralds their green color. V/r Shawn

Well, yes, but I've already used or had every color in that list except pink and clear with a bike before, and green bikes 2-3 times.

Troxel 2.JPG
Pictures!

PROFILE.jpg

I'm getting this bag from Hawthornecrazy...it's probably going on Tempest for now.

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

I have a red Rollfast badge on it right now. I doubt there is a green one but is it possible someone knows how to remedy that or is there a black one to trade for?

What do you recommend to clean up and inhibit the rust a little bit for now so I can put it together for a little while and try it out before the paint job this summer?

Car wax is one thing I've used, don't have any right now...used Turtle Wax paste left over from when I had my last car ten years ago?

The frame is actually maroon with white trim and the fork is black.

What do you recommend to clean up and inhibit the rust a little bit for now so I can put it together for a little while and try it out before the paint job this summer?

Car wax is one thing I've used, don't have any right now...used Turtle Wax paste left over from when I had my last car ten years ago?

The frame is actually maroon with white trim and the fork is black.

Unless it is sitting outside there shouldn't be a problem between now and summer I wouldn't worry about it. V/r Shawn

Back