When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building Beryl...

-
The snow is almost gone now, except for what remains in the back yard lot of the apartments across the street (which the owner of graciously let my landlord dump there to clear our lot and that really saved my sanity)...If I had wheels and handlebars I could actually ride her after some required assembly...

Tempest and Rosa will go outside soon, the weather.is drying up even if it gets colder on and off. The shed area is almost cleared off enough to go back in and do some rearranging. I've been yearning to ride Germaine but I can't remember the combination at the moment...it'll come back to me. Rosa has been out and about in the last week too.

I may be down to wheels and a chain! On top of that I also might have the parts for the Huffy project all lined up.

I decided to stay with conventional handlebars, much like Tempest's. I hope to have the bike together by summer and paint before fall, hopefully in August. Weather after that starts to hamper my efforts and in the past it has stopped some things until the end of winter. Beryl will be grey from Rustoleum rust converting and other primers, as Tempest was for a while until she was finished (in 2012).

In case you're wondering, I was hospitalized two weeks after I posted this when my old medication tried to shut down my kidneys with creatinine(?) and it was 104, I had to walk a lot that day because I had flat tires and by nine pm I was is dire shape, falling and bruising myself and called the paramedics.

The EMT had the nerve to ask me if I wanted an ambulance ride at that point, even though I knew how much they cost and I just cussed at him and got in. At around 4 am and after a lot of testing, x-rays, an MRI! they wrapped me in a big rug and just knocked me out...I had a bad thing for needles and didn't understand what was going on either...but I awoke in Boise, Idaho in the ICU, in a rather narrow gurney with an IV in my wrist and a patient monitor that went off when I tried to turn to sleep, which I named 'Endora' because the alarm sorta of sounded like 'DURWOOD, DURWOOD'...I finally got them to turn the alarm off once I talked to them about keeping the IV safe.

They were less optimistic than my body... my renal functioning came back quickly, I didn't need special diets shortly afterward and I was walking the halls all day which quickly led to getting SHORTS :) I got moved to a much nicer room near the nurses' station the last week and the staff were really nice to me. I read, got videos from the movie library there and watched sports and music programs. In two weeks I was released but had to go to a smaller hospital they owned to get my new medicines and insulin started as they switched me from pills (actually a good thing). I spent a little over two more weeks there...this was during the Summer Olympics and it bugged me that people would want to watch TBS instead of hometown hero Kristin Armstrong racing for cycling gold. I remember making a few friends I've never seen again and when an epileptic woman had a seizure on the grass by the cafeteria all I could do was yell for help STAT, and thank god for my loud mouth! She was okay and I was able to stay there and keep my eyes on her so that nothing bad happened while I was not there, I was the only one with her.

They wouldn't let me ride for at least a week after I got home. The queen bed that I almost got wedged beside with a heavy stand nearby was replaced with a twin/full and my house was cleaned up and neat (I got over that problem soon :) ) Eventually I got on Tempest again and that was a truly happy day.

And come to think of this, I asked my mom to help me get a ticket to the Blondie/Garbage concert with opener Exene and John Doe, formerly of X on July 14th...I just realized that day is the 5th anniversary of that terrible event...all the more reason to go and celebrate.

Back to the bike! And wouldn't you know, found my tank candidate on eBay...not quite enough left to get it.

Take a look! http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=192131053276

Know the seller? summerday1520 in Erie, PA. If that's one of us I'd like to hear from them soon.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm all but handlebar grips maybe away from having all the parts, if for some reason I can't get the tires I wanted this would be easy to get at the start of the month...thing is, I am hoping for a pair of new Lightning Darts to avoid putting Chinese tires on it first thing.

That and some bearing grease :)

On the bright side, my blue rack and badge from zedsn arrived yesterday and I also got some Rusoleum Rust Reformer to clean up the rusty spots in preparation for applying primer.

rack badge and rusoleum (1).JPG

rack badge and rusoleum (2).JPG

The Rustoleum was less than $4. I've already scrubbed most of the red off the badge to apply a dark blue in it's place, and the other raised badge will be a green go match Beryl's main color.

If any of you do this sort of stuff, I want to hear from you.

She is mostly covered in the rust reformer coat (it was still raining this morning and I never did get out to spray the rest of the frame)...would have had to use the boards and tarp again as well.

I could really stand to see what that decal looked like...most of the hits for Rollfast anything go to HERE, RRB and eBay.

Back