Building Darla (Red Hornet)...

This ad disappears when logged in

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Nothing but spacing and no Metacortex even though I specifically entered his i.d..

I just want the screws.

Figures. I never have any luck with the search feature here. Lowes is the worst I've seen and not sure why ours here doesn't work that great. I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with. Ace is the place if they have the correct screws.

Saving Tempest

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
No Lowe's here, Home Depot (they sell in packages), I don't go to Walmart, Ace here is my former landlord's lumberyard and not likely, I'll print the image and go to the True Value store again.

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I was referring to Lowes search feature being the worst. A lumber and hardware store that has a Martha Stewart Bed and Bath type person set up their search engine for construction materials.

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
The ACE has far fewer hardware choices, lots of wood, varnish and paint.

The True Value has a HUGE Hillman drawer system.

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
I'll go there now and try again, armed with that chart.

When I get home I'll solve the fender brace problem, they're attached with nuts.

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
My brother in law got the screw off and I located the fender brace hardware @Boris sold me a while back so now I can finish getting the braces and rack on right and prepare to drill for the Rocket Ray.

Where is it? I have a lot of stuff in here, haven't found it yet and I promised the bottom mount to a member with the handlebar flashlight holder.

Then again, if I weren't so loud I might just lose myself!

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
Okay, I sat down and finally got the braces on, I hope I didn't mix them...I spent an hour swearing at then last of the fasteners Boris sold me because I couldn't squeeze down to use the lock washer and then get the nut on (I REALLY don't have the right hand after the nerves got killed some)...so I gave up and fit a plastic center lock nut on and said the heck with that,, put the wheel back on and adjusted the braces and fender to fit equally and point straight.

The other rear brace wasn't that fussy and I have to attach them and the rack now. Then I'll temporarily cover over the two small holes in the bottom of the tank and put it on for an ugly show for a while. I have to locate the third Rocket Ray and worry about drilling the fender later.

I spent the night fussing again making a brake strap from plumber's tape then finding a screw and nut.

Now I have the front wheel on and can get the back one on as well then work on attaching the rack and rear fender.

Until I can actually find the battery charger I can't take pictures.

It's 4:30 am though, I'm pretty tired, and I know I'm not pretty.

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
Okay, good news. By sheer chance I found the DIY brake strap and mom as usual was right, it was where I left it last night. Boy did I need sleep.

That's on, the wheel is tightened up and I have the bolts in and used my old standby painter's tape to hold them and the braces in place while I turned the bike back over. Now I can install the rack. According to my guide picture from frank71 of his '48 the rack arms mount first and then the braces.

Frank71s 1948.jpg

Santee

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 23, 2010
So. Cal
Your project is coming along nicely. I have a Hornet also 1952. But not original paint. I am hoping to some day find a nice frame like yours.

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
I dropped a bolt on the floor somewhere and that's holding up the other side, and then I haven't found the other collar piece. Too many long nights and a messy house, have to tackle it. And three bikes in the living room is a bit much, I have no garage and the shed is already full.

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
I tackled that other side and have to finish attaching the rack collar and that part is done.

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

I should manually focus more, I guess that Canon is lazy.

Saving Tempest

Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

That's my little radio taped on for oldies and ball games! And now that I have a new cable lock that I actually have a combination for I can lock her up on her own and anywhere :)

Last edited:

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture