When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building Darla (Red Hornet)...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well, I took the wheel off, and as I feared the entire fork swivels left and right independently of the bars, it's not just the fender. Nuts. I wonder if the stem bolt is damaged...I'm not going into that until later today.

As for the speedometer, I fear the worst and should have covered it over during the snow and rain...I had some condensation inside the lens but gee whiz.

It's cold and has snowed some, but no Polar Vortex and stuff!

I took the stem out and removed the bolt. The camera battery was near death so this is really all I got before it shut down.

IMG_0035.JPG

It doesn't look sheared off...but the end doesn't seem all that long either (the greasy part).

I have to compare it to the other stem I have left now to see.

The bolt on the other stem is actually SHORTER, and the stem for it looks to be the same length when I hold it next to the one on Darla. Potential bad news. Unless I take the fork out I probably won't know any more about things. I sure hope the fork isn't the problem!

Not sure I can manhandle the slotted crew on the fork if I need to right now, I don't feel as well as I'd like. I would sure like some advice.

YAY! I managed to just put it together again like before, no parts needed and it's whole again! I don't know why it came apart, never seen one do that before and was surprised it just worked like that.

Now I need to put a taillight on it and find a way to add the saddlebags back on so that they don't cause problems and then add a Rocket horn that will soon be here. When the tank is done, so will Darla be.

That taillight is going to be a Delta 4-way.

Something is scraping when I turn but I assume it's fender related, I'll fix that. It's locked outside again and the cat is happy to have more room.

It will be again, maybe next week, but I tried and failed to get it back together correctly myself and it's at the bike shop. Hoped to be able to pay him today but it have to wait until Wednesday or later (closed Mondays and Tuesdays).

She's home! Now I'm transferring the horn and trying to put the panniers back on.
Another try.JPG

And no troubles with the front end! I rode across town with her and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Back